PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Howdy Folks, are there any who may have been smoking Carter Hall and Prince Albert more than once,and might telling me if there are any notable difference between them Us classic blends,Thank you for thoughts,Paul

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Unfortuately I did smoke both a lot more than once (in terms of bowls, not packages), but fortunately it was a long time ago and I had already been smoking good quality blends so neither of them clouded my appreciation of pipe smoking. CH allegedly contains a small amount of VA, whereas PA allegedly contains some cavendish, but both are, like most OTCs, primarily burley, and not the top-grade stuff either. Both are topped with a variety of flavoring syrups. They differ a lot in tin-note, somewhat in room note, and very little in taste...which might be due to the fact they have very little taste other than the cheap burley, which some like but I don't. For the price of a tub of either one, you could get a smaller tin of any one of hundreds of good-quality blends. Some people swear by these venerable drugstore everyman blends, I swear at them. YMMV.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
*prepare for toe-stepping*

Carter Hall tastes like classic codger pipe tobacco. I think it has a hint of cocoa.

Prince Albert tastes more like cigarettes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The more you like burley, the more likely you will find either one of these, PA or CH, at least satisfactory. Some people can't taste burley, and others who can taste it truly don't like it. Neither group will like these old codger brands. If you like burley, either of these will probably be satisfying, and both are good bases for mixing with blending leaf or other blends for variety. They aren't artisanal blends, but for burley smokers, they're old favorites.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you like CH and or PA, you will probably enjoy PS 702.

I think these are all lightly flavored, maybe cased rather than topped? The cut is slightly different and the tastes are too, but when you stay with one long enough, you'll find the sweet and when you switch, it may take awhile to find it in the other...it's just the way my palate worked, anyway.

I happen to like burley and these codger blends are not what I consider to be cheap tobacco.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
H&H makes about 4 'lines' of tobacco blends. Mid Town, Signature, Marquee, and R.O.

I guess there might be some flavorings in some of them, but not all.

Russ Oulette's blends would be fine with me if that was all there were to pick from.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Carter Hall is a nice tasty old-style burley that gives me a slightly sweet taste on the back of my tongue, it's a nice change of pace and can help to re-set your palate after a heavily flavored blend. I used to use it to break in new pipes as well, I now use Briar Fox though. In all Carter Hall is.....in my opinion the definition of a old style burley. Prince Albert on the other hand, tastes like cigarette filler to me, your results may vary though.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Of all the codger's the one I have most difficulty with is Half and Half. I can get there, but it takes a few bowls and it's more trouble than I need most of the time.

But, it is a step on the ladder that some tread or choose not to, and another old timer.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
CH and PA have outlived many "quality" blends. Hmmmmmm. Burning CH in a Weaver blasted blowfish. :puffy:

pappap

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2016
I smoked both of them years ago and just went back to them about a week ago , like russ47 said PA is more like cigs taste ,but still real good and CH is a little sweeter ,I enjoy both of them , then I'm almost 64 years old and cut my teeth on both PA and CH

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My first bowl this a.m. is Prince Albert in a MM Pride.

It's tasting great! I don't think 'cigarette' at all. I'm tasting a slightly sweet, mellow tobacco that doesn't have goop.

It may not be complex, but its simplicity and consistency of performance makes it a great anytime smoke.

No bite, sweet (not cloying) tasting, easy packing and burning.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I prefer CH to PA; however, it either is a tobacco that I can only enjoy once in awhile. For some reason if I smoke it too often I get a taste of burning oil and loose my ability to taste salt for a few days. It is amazing how each of our bodies are different.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I like CA a little more than PA but will happily smoke both. I really enjoy the burley based OTC tobaccos.
I just fired up a bowl of PA in an Missouri Meershaum Patriot Corn Cob Pipe. It's simple, but delicious!

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Over time, the FDA will ensure that PA and CH are the only blends we will have left standing.
I smoke both, maybe once a month for each. When I want a smoke at 1:00 A.M. and do not want Old Joe Krantz to boost me for the rest of the night, PA or CH work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.