PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hey guys,
I am trying to figure out a way to provide blends suggestions based on likes and dislikes.
In your opinion, how would you characterize 2 similar blends?

In your opinion, why are 2 blends similar?

What makes them similar?
When you suggest a blend to a friend according to what he likes, what jumps to your mind when suggesting that blend?

Strength rate? Flavours? Toppings? Brand?
If we could approximate this to a math thing, what variables would be involved?

(yes I know it's super subjective, ... still)

Thanks for your feedback people :)
By the way, it's good to be back.

I was busy getting a daughter ...

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Congratulations on your daughter. Personally I don't overthink it that much whenever I try new blends. I have to admit that I do a bit of homework beforehand, and by homework I mean either ask around or consult this website : www.tobaccoreviews.com I find the website to be very diverse in as far as blend brands, and the recommendations have a number of numerical criteria. I hardly recommend blends, and I certainly look to have a different taste than what I have tried prior. I stick to a few that I totally like, and constantly look for new flavors ... based on label information I tend to stay away from what I have previously tasted, unless in an aromatic I am not happy with what I have tried in the past. Then again ... I am not the most experienced smoker here.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In your opinion, why are 2 blends similar?

What makes them similar?
When you suggest a blend to a friend according to what he likes, what jumps to your mind when suggesting that blend?

Strength rate? Flavours? Toppings? Brand?
The tobaccos that make up the blend.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
To be considered similar, I think the primary criteria would be taste/flavor.

Other similarities like tin note, presentation/cut, burning characteristics, or moisture content might also play.

For me, a non aromatic pipe smoker, most of what I reach for is either Virgina leaf based or Burley.

From there, you go to how the leaf was cured and processed, ratio of other tobaccos in the blend and nicotine strength.

Some of the more commonly compared blends:
Prince Albert/Carter Hall

Escudo/Dunhill Navy Rolls/PSLBE

Orlick Golden Slices/PSLNF

Penzance/Mixture79 /s

Status
Not open for further replies.