PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Just picked up a nice more recent #127 Comoy's Tradition billiard for a song. After a bit of clean up, I think it looks grand. Almost stately. It's the first Comoy with a painted on / lasered C stem logo that I've owned. (All my other Comoys are pre-merger with the three part C stem inlay - hence, well seasoned vintage Comoys). This one I just got is a more modern post-merger specimen. It still has the Made in London in a circle, over the straight England, so its not the recent Made in Italy Comoy. I would date it to the 90s or thereabouts. The reason I snagged it was because of the grain, plus I have older #127s that I really enjoy. They're big group 5 /6 billiards. Took a while to clean the shank. Thank goodness for nylon brushes and isopropanol. The inner rim needed sanding too. And the outside of the pipe needed a good alcohol rub down to clean it. Re-waxed with carnuba and it was good to go. Breaking it in now with some Rattray's Black Mallory. A great smoker so far.
Before -
IMAG0315-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

After -
IMAG0357-1-1-1.jpg

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. Excellent change in appearance when the cleanup and restoration were completed. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks gents. I keep saying I'm gonna stop. But there's always another pipe beckoning me, prodding me to press the "confirm bid" button. It's an addiction, but a happy one at that.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can see why you grabbed this one, that grain is beautiful. Comoys pipes just seem to a certain depth to the grain that I don't often see, even in more expensive pipes. The beveled edge on that bowl top looks pristine, so someone was careful with the flame. That beveled bowl top is an aspect of a Comoys that is often in degraded condition. I've had a few Cadogan era Comoys and those stems are pretty darn good.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks guys. Actually Al you're right about that beveled edge. I mistakenly said I had to sand it. Actually I didn't. It was more a matter of just cleaning the rim. Thought it was burnt at first, but with a bit of spit and elbow grease it all came off. Brad, you right about the manly shape. I'm gonna have to start lifting weights again. LOL.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I bought this Comoy right after I started smoking. Came in a tin with tobacco bag, lighter, pipe bag. Its one of my best smokers. Made in the early 90's. Beautiful birds eye. So, not all new Comoy's were bad.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Jason - That's a spectacular Comoy. And what a dense field of bird's eye! Beautiful pipe. It's reassuring to hear good things about the newer post-merger Comoys. The newest line of Comoys are stamped Made in Italy (see earlier thread). But I've heard these also adhere to the tradition of being fine smoking instruments , in addition to adding more to the classic shape chart with Italian designs.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Heads up: Here's a beautiful Comoy's Blue Riband going for $125 BIN option on eBay. These usually go for twice that. This is a great deal for someone interested in picking up a lovely Comoy for a very good price. No affiliation.
Check out this item I found on eBay:
End time: Dec 3, 2013 9:44:33 PM
Item: beautiful Comoy's of London Blue Ribband
URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=200994720655
Alt URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/beautiful-Comoys-London-Blue-Ribband-/200994720655

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That BR looks like a nice buy. I've watched that seller before, he sells some interesting items, priced very nicely. This Comoys Black & Tan pipe/bag set caught my eye but someone snapped it up pretty quickly.
$T2eC16VHJHIFFh,owLS+BSd-1nRorQ~~60_57.JPG

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Very nice. Unusual to see a Cumberland stem on a Comoy. Is that part of the Black and Tan line? Nice shape and nice grain on that one. Gotta love that square shank.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks Harris. In my youth, when money was aplenty, I'd enter confidently into the fray, pockets laden with booty, to bid on the holy Blue Ribands and Specimen Straight Grains. These dottering days, in the autumn of my life, garbed in a simple peasant frock, I set my sights on the lowly Tradition and Grand Slam, and attempt to fly under the radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.