May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Anyone going for one of these beauties?
QuebecAnnouncementLogo.jpg

QuebecCatalogPage.jpg

Specifications1.jpg

1911ComoyCatCover.jpg

See: Neill Archer Roan's Passion for Pipes for details:
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2013/11/22/announcing-the-2014-passion-for-pipes-poy-the-quebec.html

Aug 1, 2012
That is a truly beautiful pipe. I want one...bad but I will have to admire from afar. Thanks for sharing.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
The smooth is truly beautiful, but alas my pipe based dollars are currently leaf based. But if any of you might be hemming and hawing, act now, as these pipes will be gone soon and will not return.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
This is really an incredible thing. Neill has resurrected a classic, no-longer produced Comoy catalog pipe shape from the first decades of the 20th Century. Master craftsmen are bringing back the design in a limited edition numbered run. I have an old BBB catalog, reprinted by Briar Book Press, that has a number of no-longer produced catalog shapes that, like the early Comoy catalog pictured above, offers a wealth of ideas. I have often wondered why young pipe makers do not bring these classic catalog pipe shapes back into current production, instead of all these newfangled blowfishes and elephant feet and gear punk retro designs ... Not to diminish the current renaissance of novel pipe shapes, but I for one applaud Neill's efforts to reintroduce the design sophistication and aura that birthed the concept of the briar pipe.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
@Petes - Don't know if I can spring for one. Totally out of my range. I'd have to sell a handful of Comoys to generate the capital, at which point they'd probably be sold out. Definitely worth pondering though. Bearing in mind, of course, that the late bird gets no worm.

May 31, 2012
Above my pay grade, but wow, it's a great concept and an outstanding execution, in the pic of the smooth it's uncanny how the stain so closely resembles that classic Comoy's patina.
I think Michael Parks has been known to make old catalog shapes.

Quite a few pipemakers have done Dunhill LB and 120 swan-necks too.
I'm looking very much forward to getting myself a copy of Neill's Blue Riband collection book.

kashmir, have you reserved a copy yet, and if so, has a price been established yet?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
@misterLC - I emailed Briar Book Press to reserve a copy. Don't know the price as of yet. Yes, it is uncanny how closely the differential stain on the smooth matches the famous Comoy "tiger stripe" contrast stain. The brothers Martin Vollmer and Anders Nilsson, who are working with Neill on this re-issue are to be commended on their exquisite execution.
Legal disclaimer: I should mention, all the images for this thread were copied from Neill Archer Roan's website Passion For Pipes, whose web address is given above. I didn't ask permission however, and I hope he doesn't mind me using them here. Should there be an issue with the administration at PM or with Neill himself, I can only offer my apologies, and immediate consent to the deletion of this thread. I naively copied the images thinking it would be of general interest to the forum members.

zulucollector

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks, Eric, for the shout-out. And thanks everyone for your kind words about the project.
Some of the abandoned classic shapes really are wonderful. I thought seriously about a second shape, too. Maybe some time in the future.
The edition is selling well, but I think everyone who wants one will be able to make it happen for themselves.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
The Artist sings to me, "buy me, buy me!" Unfortunately my wallet says, "No, No, No!" Still, I enjoyed seeing them!

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
I have had thoughts along the line of kashmir's about bringing back classic shapes/models. The Quebec just isn't my style (I'm kind've in the 'Six' world of nearly all billiards). But it was executed wonderfully well.
I may have to tune up my skills and try out a couple no longer produced classic shapes just to say I did it.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
That is a beaut. Would love to know where the pipe's original designer pulled the "Quebec" reference which, for anyone sketchy on their Canadiana, is our predominantly French-speaking province? On a near tangent, have also always wondered why the "Canadian" shape is called that.

Dec 24, 2012
I was just chatting to Neil at Passion for Pipes and he told me that my smooth Quebec would be available for pick-up from him at the show. Pretty excited to see this one.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Kash, keep your pipes. They're beautiful and well taken care of. There will be other Comoys in the future, just start saving now.
If PAD had not been in full swing since January, I'd think about it. As is, until I get control of my PAD the Comoy is but a dream.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Sorely tempted, and I echo the sentiment about artisan pipe makers reviving old shapes instead of turning out these newfangled contraptions.
Seriously, though, I think that there would be a market niche for carvers reviving really retro (as in pre-WW1) shapes. That's currently where my interests lie, and I can't be the only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.