PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
This isn't mine,

it is a copy currently up on the 'bay offered for a ridiculous price...
iwjUamG.jpg

gdIkjMG.jpg

W8whVny.jpg

NNFWQw2.jpg

NouQDYh.jpg

dzO9CAa.jpg

u0vvBPC.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The right collector, with a collection specific to a certain theme, could bid this up beyond normal reason. I guess if that's your niche, you need this item.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cool, Al. I thought Parker was Dunny seconds. At least two London retailers told me that. Or was it a stand alone back in the day?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Parker is owned by Dunhill, but in my memory, they have never been real seconds, nothing spirited off the Dunhill workshop floor and recycled as a less expensive pipe. You can look at the shapes and more or less know this is true. Various pipes have danced in the shadow of Dunhill trying to exude the "Dunhill second" aura, but I don't believe it. Hardcastle, Britannia, and maybe others have been owned or otherwise connected to Dunhill. If any real seconds exist, I believe they go way back. One of our Dunhill historians may have that story. I own a little Parker cherrywood; it's a dandy pipe, but I nurture no illusions. I like my Britannia too.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Neat old promo stuff. When I noticed the mention of the "wafer thin" mouthpiece in the third photo, I realized how much Monty Python ruined that phrase for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.