PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Just had some luck on eBay scoring another Comoy's lil' apple, shape #159 (first photo). This one is a Tradition, bought for only $54. It's an old one, maybe pre-war, because it has the old Made in England in a circle, no London, stamp. Post war Comoys are stamped Made in London in a circle, with England straight beneath. My other Comoy's #159 (second photo in back) is a Grand Slam, with a larger mortise, once used to accommodate the stinger. These are more of a challenge to clean, because without the stinger, gunk builds up quickly in the plenum (back of the mortise). I love these old Comoys and these two diminutive apples deliver a great smoke. About a group 3 in size. Cheers,
IMAG0044-1-1.jpg

IMAG0043-1-1-1.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I was watching that one, the straight stem held me back - glad someone who will appreciate it got it. Great score!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Kashmir, excellent looking classic pipes, Apples are one of my favorite shapes. Glad to hear they smoke well for you. 54 bucks is a hell of a deal, congrats on a great score.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks gents. The pipe came in well smoked, and needing a bunch of cleaning. Must have gone through a whole box of Qtips, and a half gallon of alcohol lol. Wouldn't believe the mess the shank was in. And the cake was creeping up onto the rim, on the stem side. Reaming and alcohol retorts, nylon brushes ... the works. That's why it was $54 and not the usual $150. If you're willing to clean, deals can be had on the 'bay. Plus I really like the shape.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A very nice pipe, at a very nice price. I would say based on the Comoys name stamp, with the combination of the Made in England, early post war.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Sounds like your work is cut out for you. Now I'm really glad you got it!
I don't know if they have Dollar Stores in your area, but I buy my Q-tips there. My wife told me about make-up pads - little white cotton disks that women use for something, but I've found they are great for working on pipes, again from the $$$ store.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. It is excellent that you have the tools, knowledge and time to do the necessary cleaning up prior to smoking. I hope you enjoy the pipe for many years.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Kas nice grab! Love little apples. I scored a "Lord Clive" a while back on the bay, less than $20.

It's a Comoy 2nd. A few smalL fills. What a great smoke 5/8" or about 16mm, guess it qualifys as a group#1?
Picture182_zps3bcb2397.jpg

Here scroll down to Lord Clive:

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-l6.html

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
That's a real nice shape bluesmk. Sometimes it's nice to have a short smoke in a group 1 sized bowl. Smaller bowls make for great rope and plug pipes. Now that I think about it, my Comoys are closer to a group 2 sized bowl, rather than a group 3 as stated above.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Perfect pipe right there. I like about a 30 minute smoke. Those are all beauties!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice grab Kashmir, that was definitely worth the clean-up effort. That button looks in wonderful shape as well. That stamping is definitely 1930's era.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Al, I'm curious on which you put primacy, the Made in England mark or the style of the Comoys name mark? From one source,
"Just after WW II, in 1945 or slightly later, the “COMOY'S” stamp was changed from the fancier curve to a straight line, sans serif, block lettered "COMOYS", with no apostrophe..."
Dave

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks gents. Actually I'm not re-stemming any of my Comoys on account of the three part C stem inlay, which is part of the pleasure of owning an earlier Comoy. There are a lot of deals on eBay, especially if your willing to clean up an old estate. There's really no special knowledge or tools involved. It's more just common sense. Isopropanol or rubbing alcohol and paper towels, followed by carnuba wax on the outside. A British Butner reamer, more paper towels and alcohol for the chamber. Then Qtips, pipe cleaners and nylon brushes with alcohol for the shank. Then alcohol retorts and/or salt alcohol treatments. A lot of elbow grease is involved of course. As for the stem, Brebbia stem polish. You only get what you put into it. But once you've brought back one of these estates to pristine condition it feels good. You've had a hand in its rejuvenation and now the pipe feels like it belongs to you. There's some good blogs on restoring estates like reborn briar and not a few YouTube videos as well. Worth giving it a go, especially if you're on a budget.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Very nice pipes kashmir,you do very good work. I enjoy english estate pipes my self, i have several Charatans that i have refurbished. I should seek out Comoys as well, i notthing but good things about Comoy pipes. I do own a Brittania which i understand to be a Comoy 2nd (unsmoked). It is a straight billiard marked 5005 DRAGOON on the shank. Again Sir you did one fine job on those Apples.
Take Care.
Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.