PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffnw

Lurker
May 29, 2014
A while back I had the good fortune to come across a pretty amazing collection of Comoy's that I have had sitting around till I had time to clean them up. 7 pipes in all and all but two were pretty rough but well beyond salvageable with some work. Long story short, I did not use enough vasoline on the C before soaking in bleach to remove some pretty severe oxidation and totally disintegrated the white parts of the three part C.
I am seriously upset with myself, 4 of the pipes are Specimen Straight Grains and all are beautiful relics that I had wanted to restore and pass on to my son one day to keep in the family.
Anyone know if there is anyone out there who is able to repair the 3 part C? While pretty handy I am thinking this is something I should farm out... The stems are in otherwise great condition and in the case of the SSG's have the metal tenon so I would prefer to repair them.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Don't panic Man!! For $15 or so each, Mike can fix these. http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/html/pipe_repairs.html

I've never had to use his services, but many here swear by him.

puffnw

Lurker
May 29, 2014
Oh I panicked, been mashing the panic button for a couple hours!
Thank you for the information, I was looking at Walker to replace a stem on a stemless Barling's ebay purchase but did not see that they replace the 3 part c.
Thanks!!!

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
I don't know if anyone has done this before. But I had one of the same problems on one of my pipes, the white stamp was gone on one of my Savinelli stems and your post had me wondering if I could fix it. Then I remembered I had a white "grease pencil" in my garage that I have used to fill in lettering on some of my guns. So about ten minutes ago I rubbed some on the stem and wiped the excess away and it looks good.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, I'll remember that on my next Comoys stem. I don't use Bleach, but a rather mild Oxy-Clean solution, I'll stick with it.

Walker did email me back and says he can add the C logo for that price. There are pictures on his website. I've seen this work and while his C is not quite the same, it will pass. I believe that is your only option. Keep us posted.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I think I might want to attempt to fill it, or have a professional fill it, first, although not original, it's more original than a re-drilled logo, if that is what Walker does. The answer to this question (Fill or Drill) is something I would want to find out directly from Walker. Keeping the original stems, I agree, would be best.
Dave

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The other thing is, never use straight bleach, a dilute solution 20%-40% is the way to go, and again, a good blob of vaseline. I have a friend who has started to put clear superglue on the C, and then sanding off the glue later.

puffnw

Lurker
May 29, 2014
I like the sound of fill vs drill, it seems like that could be the best solution. One already had some issues and looks like a drill is unavoidable. The others are fairly well intact and it was just the white inlay that was damaged.
And yes, I will stick to oxyclean myself...
Thanks for all the suggestions, it's greatly appreciated!

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I refurbished a Stanwell pipe and accidentally removed the paint from the logo. Luckily the inlay was still present and I was able to put a dab of paint on it, and wipe off the excess. Looked good as new!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I have a sneaking hunch that recreating the Comoy reverse "C" is not an easy or inexpensive project if you are looking to truly reduplicate the logo. I read Neil Archer Roan's Blog on Adam Davidson creating him a new stem with the logo for one of his Comoy's and it looked like a big deal.

puffnw

Lurker
May 29, 2014
I agree, why my heart sank when I saw what I had done. I love the C and know how hard it is to do work like that. That said walker's version looks great if it comes to that. Though a couple were the very thin prewar C and his is a little larger by the looks of things. Beggars meet choosers, play nice...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Neill is a member here, but I'm not sure he'll have any more resources than already posted. I'm sure while many artisan makers could do the 3-part C logo, the question is "are you willing to pay for it?". Neill mentioned to me and in that blog article that it was not cheap to have Adam recreate that logo. I bet the cost would be more than for one of Adams pipes. Since the pipe in question is a Specimen Straight Grain, the pipe is worthy of such an investment, but is the wallet...

Status
Not open for further replies.