PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Quote from SmokingPipes: Comoy's "Cask No.4" is a simple navy flake; mature Virginias and spicy Perique, pressed and cut, ready to be rubbed out or folded and stuffed for a slow smoke.
This is one of the very rare premium tobaccos that I have tried that I just couldn't get excited about, no matter how I packed, it what pipe I smoked it in, or how many bowls I finished. It is a nicely formed flake, reminding me in appearance of Stokkebye Navy Flake, perhaps a bit dryer. Pre-light aroma is mostly of Virginias with a bit of spice.
Lights easily enough, taking two or three kitchen matches with fold and stuff. Burns regularly without need for re-lighting, if dried out a bit. Tactile taste is full and creamy, with a bit of spice tickling the nose on exhale (not inhaling!).
So far, so good, but for me, that ends the good news. I can feel the onset of tongue bite after a few puffs of each bowl. It burns a little on the hot side for me. The flavor just doesn't develop through a bowl or after a couple of ounces.You do get the Virginians withe the Perique.
I get mild tongue bite and noticeable dry mouth after partaking of just a bowl of Comoy Cask #4.
I wouldn't turn this down if offered at someones home but wouldn't buy again either.
Not every blend can be a winner and for my tastes, this was most disappointing VaPer I've tried.
Pax

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Woods, I LIKE Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake - a lot. My favorite Navy Flake is probably Samuel Gawiths but PS LNF is right up there with it. Of course, they're slightly different animals.
Beast, I only bought a couple of ounces, so there isn't really much to jar. MOST of the time, when I buy an untried blend, I get just a tin or a couple of z's. I then smoke it all over a week or two. I've found that gives me plenty of time to make a decision about a tobacco. Even when I'm initially not fond of a blend, I often will come to like it by the time I finish the initial buy. This is one of the very few times that I simply couldn't come to enjoy the tobacco.
Of course, I've only smoked a fresh batch of Comoy Cask #4. It is a VaPer, so it might very well mature beautifully. It would almost certainly be improved. But there are too many blends that I love to risk money on blends that MIGHT come around.
I have occasionally purchased a half pound of some untried blends, but they were Esoterica blends or other prized blends that I could easily trade off if I didn't like them. I also recently ordered 8 oz of Pembroke, but only because I know I like Margate, and Pembroke is Margate with a Cognac casing. (BTW: It is simply Cognac. TobaccoReviews.com uses French Cognac, which is redundant, as is French Champagne or Mexican Tequila. All are regional specific names, e.g. Cognac and Champagne, France and Tequila, Mexico.)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I ask about Peter Stokkebye Navy as kind of a trick question because it is widely assumed (and perhaps incorrectly) to be the same thing as Comoy's Cask #4 Stand Fast Navy. It looks the same, but I've never done an A/B taste test on it.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Oddly enough I had some of this last night, since it was in the box pass(thanks to you Dan). I found it similar to PS - LNF, having said that, it was close enough that I would rather just spend the money on PS - LNF.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
PS LNF is extremely well-balanced and smooth smoking. Whatever the source, the Comoy #4 sounds mediocre, and if it is LNF, a poor batch.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I've smoked lots of PS LNF. Well, I guess that is relative. I've smoked somewhere between a half pound and a pound of PS LNF and only two oz of Comoy Cask #4. I've never had the tongue burn from PS LNF that I got from my Comoy order.
And I'm a baccy whore. There are only a couple of blends I didn't learn to like. One was PA. Unoffensive and I didn't really smoke more than a couple of bowls. The second was Comoy and I went through a couple of oz.
I wouldn't be bowled over to find it was the same tobacco as PS LNF. It is the same type of blend, both VaPer flakes, and the appearance is strikingly similar.
I may order some PS LNF on my ticket. I'e wondering if smoking so many English blends over the last couple of months have made me more aware of the bite that Virginias can cause.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Post Note:
Just smoked the last bowl of Comoy #4 yesterday. With none left, I suddenly found myself thinking how tasty this blend was. Kinda like the girl you can't have anymore.
Pax

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
So, are you going to recommit and order some more? I was thinking about trying it. Reviews state it is a more expensive clone of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and that the PS LNF is less $$$. I have been collecting Comoy pipes and wanted to try their tobaccos.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I have way too many tobacco projects running at the moment. Otherwise, I would order some PSLNF and more Comoy #4 and do a blind test. I do feel that having smoked #4 adds to the experience. I just #4 was a bit sharp for my tastes.
However, I've been smoking a lot of English/Balkans and burleys recently, so it may be that my tongue has gotten used to kinder blends and I may have to get re-acclimated to Virginia heavy blends.
Pax

Status
Not open for further replies.