PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, I struck some Ebay gold again last night. The Comoys 284 was a remaining shape on my dwindling "Holy Grail" list and this one popped up on Ebay last night. I immediately contacted the seller and made a somewhat low-ball offer to BIN. 19 out of 20 of these offers are rejected, but this guy said yes! Left to auction, it would have went twice my offer and I would have been competing with many Asian buyers who also seem to adore this shape.
It looks to be in pretty good shape and has the 3 piece "C" stem logo I covet. I previously had a 284 shape in "The Guidall" brand, a Comoys 2nd. But those stems are molded and I never warmed up to the pipe. I can't wait to see this one in the flesh. The nomenclature stamping is strong as is the beveled bowl top.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Left on the Holy Grail list:

1. Sasieni Ashford

2. GBD 9242 (Virgin or so...)

3. Comoys 283

4. Dunhill 1961 Bulldog/Rhodesian

5. Charatan 109 Distinction grade or higher.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I have a Comoy's Tradition, shape #9, the straight bulldog, so the two pipes are similar. If you get the same pleasure from yours that I get from mine, you're a lucky dude. I've smoked a variety of blends in mine and have come to the conclusion that it's a magic pipe. Wish you the same, Al.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I completed the restoration of this Comoys 284 Tradition this morning. I have written up the process on Steve's "Reborn Pipes" blog:
http://rebornpipes.com/2014/06/29/comoys-284-tradition-restored/
Here is the completed pipe
comoys_284_gallery.jpg

comoys_284_gallery-3.jpg

comoys_284_gallery-1.jpg

comoys_284_gallery-2.jpg

comoys_284_gallery-4.jpg

comoys_284_gallery-5.jpg

comoys_284_gallery-6.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Al, that is just a beautiful classic Comoy's. Looking at the grain, I don't think it would take very much for that pipe to be a Blue Riband! Lovely stem!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Tradition grade pipes do at times have some pretty nice grain - I think this one just did miss Blue Riband grading.

And, I'll never afford a Blue Riband 284, so this one will have to suffice!

zulucollector

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Al, that is an exquisite pipe. Frankly, I've seen many Blue Ribands with poorer grain and a less attractive contrast stain that your 284. I think it passes muster for the Blue Riband grade, and why it didn't wind up with the stamp, we'll never know.
Occasionally, I sell a piece when I wind up with a duplicate shape. I promise to let you know if that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.