PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231765756906?_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$561 with 5 hours to go. I am sure ssjones is watching or bidding on it but Im guessing it will go for an insane amount.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I think ssjones is sufficiently prudent to have bowed out by this point, if he ever bid in the first place.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Given the condition, that pipe is overpriced at the current bid. But I'll bet in the last few moments the price goes up again and maybe even a lot. It's a rarely seen shape in a Comoy.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
An ugly surprise for whoever wins it will be the significant shank-to-stem downward step that de-greening it will create, and then can't be "blended away" the way it can on most such pipes using re-finish trickery. The non-stop sinuous curve that is the essence of the shape---WHY it looks so cool---won't allow it without destroying the line.
And leaving it as-is makes no sense, either. Yuk.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
what a beauty! thanks for the post! it almost looks like an author if not for the scribe markings!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a mint condition 499 Extraordinaire, so I was only watching....with delight! The pipe looks restorable, the stem/shank connection might improve after cleaning. The C logo is pretty degraded but they seem to hold well, even in that condition. It looks like a lot of rookie Ebay'ers were after that one. I was hoping for a last second shootout, but it was not to be.
I remember the first time seeing mine in person, a pipe that I never thought I'd have an opportunity to own (I was able to pick it up from the seller, a forum member who lived near NYC)
s-l1600.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sorry Peck, she's not for sale...yet.
I was showing the auction to my wife, she asked "what is yours worth?", so I better keep an eye on my cabinet....

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had a groan moment three years ago at Richmond. Early in the show, I stopped by Andy Camire's table and asked how he was doing. He said fine, he had just sold a Sandblast 499......(the smooth 499 Extraordinaire shows up on Ebay about every two years, the Sandblast, never?)

Status
Not open for further replies.