PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
This Comoy’s Extraordinaire 499 is the last pipe in the restoquadrilogy that began with these…
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/1938-bbb-silver-mounted-poker-restoration-pic-heavy
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/comoy%e2%80%99s-specimen-straight-grain-229-restoration-pic-heavy
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/comoy%e2%80%99s-extraordinaire-235-restoration-pic-heavy
Its condition almost exactly mirrored the condition of the Extraordinaire 235 in the link above…
5YFoCVb.jpg

EiWn90T.jpg

pxvs96n.jpg

c4gg0lt.jpg

ISQUjfY.jpg

9K8eVTn.jpg

sLhYxdn.jpg

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
So, again, there really isn’t much to be said. Same issues, same procedure. Here’s the pipe.
XObJ7DO.jpg

MnZXG7n.jpg

BTGc4tY.jpg

ohtn3sv.jpg

Qj9Qraf.jpg

5ain7Of.jpg

I’m no expert on Comoy dating. I tend to focus more on the nuts and bolts aspect of these old pipes. So, keep that in mind when I say that one thing that I find interesting about all three of the Comoys in this batch is that the markings don’t match up with what I would expect to see. Quite the opposite, in fact. However, that discussion is probably best left to thread of its own.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Great looking restoration. I started my first restoration project yesterday, this has given me some encouragement.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Anthony, in the pre-resto image of the stem trademark, it appears there's a circle in the mouth of the 'C'. Did they insert a little circle of vulcanite into the stem to turn an 'O' into a 'C'? Sure looks like it on this one.
fk8qo6.jpg

Nice job.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
That's correct Joe, hence the "three part C", done with three separate drillings. The white OD and inlay, the second drilling at the center and inlay, and the final drilling at the 3 o'clock position and inlay to create the C.
:)

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Joe, that's pretty much it. The pre-Cadogan Comoys had a three-part stem inlay that created the "C". A large diameter drilling to accept the white rod, a smaller diameter drilling in the center of the white rod to accept a vulcanite rod, and an off-set (in this case even smaller, but not always) drilling to create the mouth of the "C".
I like seeing things like this and, say, Sasieni's Four Dot drilling because if they put that much effort and precision in the stem logo, you know you're probably in good hands with the rest of the pipe.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
but apparently never noticed this about a Comoy.

Only the pre-Cadogan pipes have the three-part inlay, Joe. Post-Cadagans either have a single insert or are stamped and painted.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Nice! Gorgeous pipe! Do you know what the dimensions are? I have a regular 499, a Comoy second and wondering if they're the same size or if the Extraordinare is larger. Also, how did you fix the cracked 'C'?

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Only the pre-Cadogan pipes have the three-part inlay, Joe. Post-Cadagans either have a single insert or are stamped and painted.
Thanks Anthony.
This appears to be extremely close in dimensions to the GBD 9242.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Nice! Gorgeous pipe! Do you know what the dimensions are? I have a regular 499, a Comoy second and wondering if they're the same size or if the Extraordinare is larger. Also, how did you fix the cracked 'C'?

Sam, I know there is information floating around to the contrary and someone here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember Neill Archer Roan saying that Comoy gave pipes the Extraordinaire designation based solely upon the quality of the grain. Size didn't play into it. However, the shape itself did morph a bit over the years. So, a 30s 499 might not perfectly match the dimensions of one made in the 60s.
For my total non-answer about the "C" repair, see here.
This appears to be extremely close in dimensions to the GBD 9242.

Proportionally, yes, but I think the 499 is just slightly smaller overall.

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
I am the happy owner of this pipe. I am also the happy owner of a pre-WWII GBD which I think is a 9242 but does not have the number stamped. The bowl was likely turned in France.
The two shapes are very different and not comparable in detail. The GBD is much, much more delicate and looks small. This pipe is fatter and looks large. I can post pictures comparing them and including a Postwar Sasieni Ashford if any really cares.
Mark

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Mark, I've owned 'both' sizes of the GBD 9242. This Comoy is very much like the fatter / larger 9242 which I like much more. I should've pointed out that I meant the more 'hefty' 9242.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Mark, the only direct comparison I can make between the two shapes is from your photo. From this angle, the 499 (far right) definitely looks somewhat smaller than the 9242 (far left).
ynD7KxE.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
This is one I’ve been waiting on. Saving the best for last. What a fantastic shape.
Top notch work as always. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.