PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hey guys, every so often I keep an eye own for whatever vintage pipes pop up on a local auction site, and I have noticed a pretty popular shape for a meerschaum. Since I do not own such a pipe, and currently not wanting to spend a few hundred euros for one, especially since I have never smoked one and don't know if I would like it or not, I was looking at what seems to be a good bargain. On the other hand I was also reading about poor quality Turkish meers, so I am also afraid that out of what seems to be an economically savvy decision I might end up with a horrible pipe. What do you meer veterans think?
81b81492dd70dc6f8842db8f194e6bc7_5139641_700_700.jpg

8b1fa6f7bbb78b52f01382e736ccc34e_2830393_1000_10.jpg

They are two different pipes, sold by two different sellers - one is unsmoked, the other is in pretty good shape. It seems very odd that they are almost identical ..

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Many a meerschaum smoker began their relationship with a pipe like that one - yes, a very popular meerschaum image. The quality will vary. You might get a meerschaum that smokes and colors very well ... or not. If you get one of them, and you're disappointed, it doesn't mean that meerschaums aren't for you.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I was gifted a meer almost identical to the one in the first image. Yes, it does indeed appear to be a very popular shape/design.
It is for this reason why I have suspected it is a moulded pipe, made from a slurry of finely ground meerschaum and some kind of binder. Therefore they can be churned out by the thousand.
I could be way off the mark with that and rather hope I am so would love to hear from the experts.
Regards,
Jay.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
So what would you do? Even if it is a gamble, the prices is quite low - so no big loss. Would you pick the screw in stem or the push stem?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hi Maddox, it looks carved like most meerschaums are. The reason it's a common shape is because pipes are made for more than the US. As for quality, won't know until it's smoked, but block meerschaum is a stone. Stones can have flaws, but I'm not aware of modern pipes, and that's a modern pipe, using pressed meerschaum. Pressed meerschaum, luckily was more cheap production to keep up with crazy demand back in the day. The demand isn't high enough to warrant that speed production.
The stem is modern with the push feature, which is generally better for newer smokers. Older Meerschaum pipes utilized bone screw in tenons and were a little narrower. Takes practice to smoke.
I'm not a carved Meer fan, but if it's attractive TO YOU that's what matters. It's your pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, if you like it, it's all good. The first pipe looks very cheaply made. The second one's carving appears much better, and the bowl looks bigger. But that shape is quite common, perhaps the most common.
In the States, you can find good meers for under $100.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
From time to time there is a seller on eBay from Turkey who sells really great looking meers (block!) that are REALLY affordable, considering their look and size. I believe they usually go for $50 or less, and I paid double that for my meers. I'll see if I can find his page, if you'd like. Regarding the two pictured, I'd definitely recommend the bottom one myself.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Thank you all for the input. Final price ... EUR 20 for the bottom one. The seller is an antique's dealer, not a pipe smoker himself. From his description the stem seems vulcanite, and he also claims that it is not smoked. I was watching his auctions for a while - he has it on inventory for a while now, and price kept went down each week - I don't think I can get it for any less than this :lol: Well ... I spend more at an outing at the pub in one evening, so if nothing more it makes a good display piece in my collection. I got myself, according to condorlover1, a pipe with a reputation, although I do not plan to smoke Clan in it. The top one's asking price is EUR 50, and I agree with jpmcwjr, the top one is unjustifiable more expensive as it looks cheaper made. ashdigger I hope that the screw in system won't give me a head ache, but I chose it as it seems unique to the meer type. Will give you guys some feedback once it gets here. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.