PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
Look what I found in the mailbox today. This is my first commissioned pipe from Gary Balestrieri. What drew me to his pipes was that he hand makes them from start to finish with the exception of drilling the bowl and airway.
I gave him a rough idea of what I wanted and left the rest to him. I wanted a fat Rhodesian with a saucer like top. He offered to send pictures of the build in progress but I declined and waited to see it until it was in my hands. 3 wide inch bowl top. 6 inches long. chamber is 3/4 inch wide x 1.5 inches deep.
eSdUW9Ql.jpg

9tyopohl.jpg

t0N00bol.jpg

6owwNHyl.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That's a sweet pipe! I like the "domed" top treatment.......... The 3/4" bore is perfect too......Congrats on that one!!...

What will be the inaugural tobacco??

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Very nice Dave!! Y'all might interested in knowing that Gary is an over the road truck driver and does most of the work on his pipes while he's on the road -- or at least he was last I heard.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That's true Ed. In the cab of his truck, all by hand. He told me he drilled the bowl and airway at home and did the rest on the road.
My next commish, an E James Canadian???

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Perhaps one of Ed's famous mulberry pipes?
Dave, that looks great. I love the contrast between stem and stummel shaping.
-- Pat

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That's true Ed. In the cab of his truck, all by hand. He told me he drilled the bowl and airway at home and did the rest on the road.
Actually I'm working on a Gold Morta Canadian Dave,but it is probably spoken for--a gent told me if I ever made one he'd like to have it. I'm a bit behind,but can put you on the list.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Very nice looking pipe, I find hybrid shapes lend some interesting artistic representations to pipe shapes, some show the DNA of one of the shapes, others of both and some just show you something new and interesting, may it serve you well.

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sturdy and handsome both. I really like the two textures. Reminds me of a Bob Hayes pipe at the TAPS pipe show, with the two textures, in a cream beige bent bulldog.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Sweet Dave, i like the way it turned out and am stoked to hear you like it as well. The stain goes really well with the cumberland stem and i also dig the rusticated bowl/smooth rim combo, gives it some contrast and pizazz. Enjoy that beaut, buddy!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I've smoked about 8 bowls in it since Saturday. I think it needs a little rest now. It's a great smoker with a perfect draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.