PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
For a while now I have contemplating getting a commissioned pipe and have wondered for those of you that have had a pipe commissioned how much does it run?

~Ron

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it depends on the reputation of the carver, the materials, and the business plan, in the sense that some carvers

are retirees and not trying to make the mortgage and light bill by selling pipes. I have never commissioned a pipe, but

I feel sure that I could do so, with a good carver, for as little as around $150. After that, you can go up incrementally

into the thousands, easily. I think most carvers who regularly do commissions expect to start talking around $400

or up.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Then who are some good carvers to contact for a commissioned pipe?

~Ron

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Deniz is having Baki carve something to my likings @ $495 + shipping
Riccardo Santia made a cob to my specs for $150 shipped, and is currently making another for $200+shipping.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Unlike some members here who continue to carry huge pom-poms for this artisan carver or that one, I don't play that game."
I don't know if I've ever carried pom-poms (at least not for pipe makers), but many of us have had good experiences with certain carvers and are willing to pass on our opinions in case anyone else is interested.
But of course, neither Roth nor anyone else is required to "play that game".

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Thanks guys, I've been looking around the internet and found some good carvers, I will shoot them an email soon.

~Ron

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
There are lists created by other forum members listing many of the pipe carvers.
You could then research those names and contact the carvers directly with any questions you might have.
You can then discuss the price range with the carver. Expect less than $400 for a blasted pipe.
If you want a smooth pipe the range would be greater than $400.
I hope you can get a pipe made that you will enjoy for many years.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think Askwith advertises basic commissions starting at $250.
Until recently, Ryan Alden (Lonestar) was taking commissions for under $200. The pipe Ryan made for me cost a little over that, but it is one of my favorites and a great smoker. A nice guy and a pleasure to deal with.
Rad Davis pipes start around $350. I don't own one (yet), but he has a lot of loyal repeat customers.
All in all, expect to pay around $200 for pipes from some of the newer pipe makers, although prices can go up quickly from there. You can still get an amazing pipe from most makers that will cost you less than a Dunhill, say. Apples and oranges and all, but it's worth pointing out -- handmade commissioned pipes are an amazing value.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Wow. I need some hip waders for all this pissing going on.
@ Rmason
Bigvan started a great thread that was made a sticky a while back. It is a sticky in the "Pipe Talk" sub-forum. The link to that thread is below. There are many links and useful opinions and experiences that different people here have had. Personally I have only bough a pipe from Mark Tinsky. I didn't have it commissioned but due to the quality of the pipe and my experience with him, I will have one commissioned once I am ready for that. Hope this helps. Price will vary greatly from artisan to artisan. I think the best advice that has been given to me regarding artisan pipes...is to not settle / compromise for what you want. The other side to that is be ready to pay for it. Figure out what you want and go for it. If you can't afford it yet, wait.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/north-american-pipe-makers

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Be careful there, Rico... you don't want to be accused of "shaking your poms poms" or anything.
;-)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I suggest that you approach a pipemaker whose work you like. I've commissioned two pipes from Tony Fillenwarth. But before doing that I had tried a couple of his pipes and really enjoyed smoking them. Since his pipes are engineered to offer a enjoyably open draw I knew what to expect and was not disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.