Commission Prices

(24 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by rmason
  • Latest reply from sablebrush52
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a while now I have contemplating getting a commissioned pipe and have wondered for those of you that have had a pipe commissioned how much does it run?
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It is entirely a matter between you and the pipe maker, any price that anyone else here may give you can only be an indication.

Have you got a particular maker in mind? Unless they are totally obscure, their previous products should give you a ball-park figure.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ballpark? Between $125 and [fill in a four figure amount here]. All depends on what you want and who is making it for you.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it depends on the reputation of the carver, the materials, and the business plan, in the sense that some carvers
    are retirees and not trying to make the mortgage and light bill by selling pipes. I have never commissioned a pipe, but
    I feel sure that I could do so, with a good carver, for as little as around $150. After that, you can go up incrementally
    into the thousands, easily. I think most carvers who regularly do commissions expect to start talking around $400
    or up.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

MSO took a paragraph to say what I said in one line

Sorry, had to do it

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Then who are some good carvers to contact for a commissioned pipe?
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Deniz is having Baki carve something to my likings @ $495 + shipping

Riccardo Santia made a cob to my specs for $150 shipped, and is currently making another for $200+shipping.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

OK Ron, so now that's a different question: not "how much?" but "who?"

I'm in the UK so my first pick would be Chris Askwith, you are probably looking at a minimum of $300-400 there.

Where are you based?

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. blackbeard82

blackbeard82

Login to Send PM

wow

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Then who are some good carvers to contact for a commissioned pipe?

Unlike some members here who continue to carry huge pom-poms for this artisan carver or that one, I don't play that game.

A ppe is just too damn personal not to just take someone's experience with a very large and seriously important grain of salt, then do your own heavy lifting, and the obviously necessary homework and research required to ensure that your experience, and your commissioned pipe, will be exactly as you expect -- or, hopefully even better.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Roth, why not just say Google it?

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Roth, why not just say Google it?

Because, Peter, while I too, can be pretty good at snide remarks, I do actually always try to help out fellow puffers and add what might not always be tactful, but, I hope, an honest take, based on personal experience and my opinion on the subject.

Now really -- does just typing "Google it" help anyone, and doesn't doing that make me look like an ass? I think it would.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Unlike some members here who continue to carry huge pom-poms for this artisan carver or that one, I don't play that game."

I don't know if I've ever carried pom-poms (at least not for pipe makers), but many of us have had good experiences with certain carvers and are willing to pass on our opinions in case anyone else is interested.

But of course, neither Roth nor anyone else is required to "play that game".

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys, I've been looking around the internet and found some good carvers, I will shoot them an email soon.
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Because, Peter, while I too, can be pretty good at snide remarks, I do actually always try to help out fellow puffers and add what might not always be tactful, but, I hope, an honest take, based on personal experience and my opinion on the subject.

Now really -- does just typing "Google it" help anyone, and doesn't doing that make me look like an ass? I think it would.

Well, "snide" is an interesting word.

Unlike some members here who continue to carry huge pom-poms for this artisan carver or that one, I don't play that game.
    How would you describe this comment? "Snide," perhaps? Or would you care to expand?

We clearly both spend far more time on here than is good for us, so perhaps for both our sakes and that of others we should establish a better understanding. Which will have to include you recognising that "Now really..." is not the way to go.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

How would you describe this comment? "Snide," perhaps? Or would you care to expand?

It's fairly simple English and my personal opinion; I don't think it needs clarification.

"Now really..." is not the way to go

Of course it is, if you read my post. I just don't feel right reflecting that flippant and rather useless and unhelpful image of myself -- you of course obviously differ.

Anyway, we may choose to disagree, which is fine. I'm not commenting further on this, my points have been made rather clearly.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are lists created by other forum members listing many of the pipe carvers.

You could then research those names and contact the carvers directly with any questions you might have.

You can then discuss the price range with the carver. Expect less than $400 for a blasted pipe.

If you want a smooth pipe the range would be greater than $400.

I hope you can get a pipe made that you will enjoy for many years.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think Askwith advertises basic commissions starting at $250.

Until recently, Ryan Alden (Lonestar) was taking commissions for under $200. The pipe Ryan made for me cost a little over that, but it is one of my favorites and a great smoker. A nice guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Rad Davis pipes start around $350. I don't own one (yet), but he has a lot of loyal repeat customers.

All in all, expect to pay around $200 for pipes from some of the newer pipe makers, although prices can go up quickly from there. You can still get an amazing pipe from most makers that will cost you less than a Dunhill, say. Apples and oranges and all, but it's worth pointing out -- handmade commissioned pipes are an amazing value.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. eaglerico

eaglerico

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. I need some hip waders for all this pissing going on.

@ Rmason

Bigvan started a great thread that was made a sticky a while back. It is a sticky in the "Pipe Talk" sub-forum. The link to that thread is below. There are many links and useful opinions and experiences that different people here have had. Personally I have only bough a pipe from Mark Tinsky. I didn't have it commissioned but due to the quality of the pipe and my experience with him, I will have one commissioned once I am ready for that. Hope this helps. Price will vary greatly from artisan to artisan. I think the best advice that has been given to me regarding artisan pipes...is to not settle / compromise for what you want. The other side to that is be ready to pay for it. Figure out what you want and go for it. If you can't afford it yet, wait.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/north-american-pipe-makers

Glenn
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Be careful there, Rico... you don't want to be accused of "shaking your poms poms" or anything.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's to Rad Davis:

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Fight fight!! Lol.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/north-american-pipe-makers

That's a great thread for anyone wanting to find many of/learn more about some of the North American artisan carvers who take commissions.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I suggest that you approach a pipemaker whose work you like. I've commissioned two pipes from Tony Fillenwarth. But before doing that I had tried a couple of his pipes and really enjoyed smoking them. Since his pipes are engineered to offer a enjoyably open draw I knew what to expect and was not disappointed.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   hugodrax, dmcmtk, jiminks