PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
My favorite time on a job is when the client or customer gets hung up, and I'm left with nothing to do but sink back in a chair, close my eyes, and try to catch a nap. Or catch up on emails. Or....
Have a pipe.
As a photojournalist, I have a neatly arranged cyberbag, a type of backpack with padded compartments for lenses, camera bodies, strobes, batteries, etc., and pipe bag.
At at Starbucks in Irving, seeing which outside table to sit at, I was dismayed to see each had a No-Smoking label on it. I asked the gentleman who was hosting my visit if there were others farther off where I could have a smoke. He asked did I smoke, and I told him, yes, a pipe.
Immediately he said, "Oh fire it up. Won't bother me. I love pipe smoke." A young blonde woman with intriguing accent, who was sitting just off to the side, urged me to smoke, promising me nothing would happen. Please, smoke my pipe. Really? "Yes, yes. Please."
Um. Okay.
Wished I had my Lane CA with me, but this was my safest "public friendly" tobacco: Captain Black regular. I don't really feel that I've had a smoke after a bowl of Captain Black, only that I went through the motions. There's no nicotine hit, and I have to really work at tasting it. And the taste is okay. It's ... safe. No bite. Milky. Salty-milky. And it smokes so much. It just looks like my pipe is a nuclear power plant's stack, white curls steadily rising out of it, feeding the breeze.
Here's the "Pipesmagazine-professional" filling. Here's the tamp and the check-draw. Now the char and light tamp. A second char and light tamp. True light, puff, position, and ... relax with a nice freehand projecting from corner of my mouth.
Gentleman across from me took a deep breath and smiled and exclaimed how good that smelled. The blonde woman for some reason let her guard down and was talking to us as if we were all old friends. She was from Bulgaria. Been here 11 years. Is an internal accountant for a small company here. Learned English in Kansas and apologized for her slang.
It felt as though I'd become the friendship fire. I was in the center of the group. Listening, relaxed, all the while my pipe smoking, wafting, uniting the group.
Oh, I know it wasn't that. Course it wasn't that. But it felt like that. It felt as if everything was right, and I didn't want to be anywhere else but right there, right then, in the sun, amid these temporary bosom buddies who would never see each other again after this lunch break. I was hoping the client wouldn't come for a long time, hoping the management didn't rush out and pluck the pipe from my mouth and fling it out into traffic, hoping that customers in/out of Starbucks weren't being offended that I was breaking the no-smoking rule. But everyone not only was okay with it, everyone seemed to approve and encourage it.
The pipe as social catalyst. Pipe-bonding.
This is something that must be studied further.
Volunteers?

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I'm writing this from the DFW airport, peeved.
No smoking lounge? WTH...?
:)
-- Quick edit to say "Hi, rsuninv!" You sneaked in between my posts here. So you've experienced this, then.
Others?

Jan 8, 2013
Count me in.
Great read again 12pups. I always enjoy your posts. I have yet to have this happen to me, but I can see it happening. A lot of people don't consider pipes to be the same as cigarettes. Generally, the no smoking signs have the cigarette in the circle with the line through it. So, for the next few months, I will play lab rat and try lighting a pipe in said areas, with my excuse being that the picture only shows a cigarette, and see how many people approve vs scorn.
I am sure that isn't quite what you meant, but hey, I think it will be fun.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Brilliant observation! It's not so much a "no-smoking" sign as a "no-cigarette" sign!
I'll be using that one. And the day I see a table with a slashed-out pipe, I'll know not to smoke a pipe there. (Though hard to be an ambassador of pipe-smoking while being deliberately confrontational.)
:)

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I will play lab rat and try lighting a pipe in said areas, with my excuse being that the picture only shows a cigarette
Let us know how that works. In Washington they would hit you with a blackjack and roll you out with a firehose.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Foggy, lol. I was hoping he did more than hit on her, but if I were he I wouldn't put it in writing.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Lucky they didn't rush over and squirt you with a fire extinguisher ...
Here in smoke-Nazi infested CA, the surprise would be if you could get away with that on the sidewalk outside Starbuck's ... it sure as hell would be happening inside ... in fact, a great many of the cities here in the SF Bay Area are even legislating against the e-Cigs, both inside and out ...

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Steves, anywhere I have lived & all my life, you do a fire extinguisher at me, might be fun at the moment but won't be fun after that for both of us.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I really can't help but wonder if we lost a bit of civility when we, as a society, decided to banish smokers from almost every public (and private) place. Have we forgotten how to simply kick back, converse with one another and relax?

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I agree, somewhat. I've always found smoking brings people together. As for speaking of civility, come to Britain. Pipe smoking's still vaguely popular, albeit amongst the older generation. All my pipesmoking friends are over 70, and I, am not. I don't care much for other peoples opinions, and in Britain, everyone minds their own business.
I was in Belgium recently, where there was I would say, an equal mix of American and British tourists. I am proud to say that nobody British asked (or told!) me to stop smoking my pipe. I had some odd looks, and miserable old tarts with their hen pecked husbands coughing effectually, but nonetheless, nobody British asked me to stop smoking. I did, however, find that Americans seemed to be a lot more forthright in their objections. Now, I understand that the vast majority of members on this forum are from the US, but this must nonetheless dissuade me from the rudeness that I found. I live in a very touristy region at home, and it is fairly popular with Americans, and should I encounter this at home, they (like all others who may venture such an opinion) are told in no uncertain terms, to fuck off. I was (rather naiively) ill prepared for this abroad, but nonetheless point blank refused to extinguish my pipe to satisfy a group of people, and gave them their marching orders.
I am sorry to submit such an account of people being so unfriendly, and even more so to so unequivocally lay the blame of one particular nationality, but there can be no denying it. I appreciate not all Americans are like this, and this post should not be thought of as an indictment of the American people as a whole, but I must stress the disparity between the American attitude and the British. I, personally, sometimes would rather someone plainly asked me to stop smoking, so I could plainly tell them to fuck off, as opposed to sitting near someone effectually coughing, that makes me smoke more heavily, but my mrs look more uncomfortable, but being reserved and British myself, found it rather offensive and abrasive.
I will say, however, that I found an American gentleman at the Tyne Cot Cemetery outside passchendaele, smoking a pipe (albeit a peterson, bleh), quietly appreciating the place. I regret I didn't speak to him, but it is quite reassuring to note that the pipe smoking community does extend outside this forum which, for me at least, often doesn't...

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Anglesey, no offense taken. Believe me as an American, I see a lot of rudeness. Clearly those you mention were not raised on how to be respectful. I can only say not all of us are like that, especially here in the southern part of the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.