PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Wanted to hear everyones experience with this.
I'm still fairly new to pipe smoking, and part wonder of pipe tobacco is trying all types of tobaccos and tobacco blends. But, when I go to smoke, I will most likely reach for my favorite, Frog Morton's Cellar. I am trying to make it a point to try at least 3 new tobaccos once a month, that's how I found FMC in the first place. But, I always feel like nothing will be FMC for me.
Thoughts?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I always go back to Prince Albert for some reason. I'll get on Va, VaPer, or Lat kicks for a while, but always have a pouch of PA kicking around.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I pretty much smoke the same 6 or 7 blends all the time; occasionally trying new ones or smoking ones outside of my regular rotation.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Some tobaccos will be short-lived favorites, but eventually you find ones that you really do keep coming back to, year after year. There were a few tobaccos that I thought would always be my favorites when I first started smoking, but tastes change.

I'm a butterfly!!
butterfly-animated.gif

oldseadog

Lurker
Feb 23, 2016
I love my aromatic blends, i went to a tobacco store found a great black cavendish smells like dark chocolate. Tastes great too. But later this evening i went back to my regular Lane 1Q aka captain black Royal. I like it and it's my favorite. I have tried English blends tried a bowl to day as well. Smelled like embalming fluid and tasted much like to it too. But I enjoy trying new stuff. That is the fun. Who knows maybe i will find something to replace my go to blend?

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
I hear you man. Same thing for me with Solani silver flake. I smoke like 1-2 a week so when I go for a smoke I want it to be perfect. Seems silver flake always satisfy me.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Give it time... When I first started I found 3 Oaks Syrian and nothing else compared! I loved the stuff, it was golden! Nowadays I hardly smoke it, it's just too light for me and my tastes have changed. Same with FMC, I used to love that stuff but I hardly ever reach for it anymore.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I go through periods where I play the field, then settle down with a few true favorites. I'm pretty much done buying tobacco, so anything new added to the pile has to be pretty outstanding, and there's not much of that.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
For me it was a 2 step process. First, I tried different styles of tobacco to figure out what I generally liked and didn't like (also very important knowledge). Second, I narrowed which particular blends of those styles I liked the best. Along the way I found several go-tos that I can rely on, and which are what I refer back to when looking for something new, or if I come across something that be similar to something I know I will enjoy

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
I started with Capstan, having tried a hundred something blends and I am back too.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
I go through phases. I get really into one blend for a while and think, "this is the only blend I will smoke from now on!" Then for whatever reason my tastes change and I get into something else for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.