PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sokrates

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
I've had some SG Navy Flake and McClellands 5110 jarred up for a couple of years. Those blends just never hit the spot for me so I decided to combine them to see what would happen and it is a fantastic smoke. I'm calling it Navy Flake 5110. I'm curious if there are others blends you might not like on their own, but when combined with another blends really come alive.

Yes, Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake is just too bleh for me on its own. It just never cranked my tractor. And, Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake is a coconut cavendish Virginia that is just a little strong on the flavoring side for me. So, I stack two flakes, one of each, and twist them together and put them in my pipe twisted. Together, they are just right, and the aroma reminds me of the aroma of a brand new pair of cowboy boots, fresh out of the box.
I have a few others I mix, mostly aromatics that I mix with burleys or cigar leaf to give them more of a tobacco flavor.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Once in a while I get a little burned out with all the Virginia I smoke and want a little change so I’ll mix Carter Hall with Orlik Golden Sliced 50/50. A little marmalade on toast kind of thing.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Sure, I mix blends often. It is great fun and can lead to new flavors. IMHO, the key is to mix "like" tobacco cuts. For example, 2 shags, 2 plugs, 2 crumble cakes, 2 flakes. Avoid mixing flakes with a loose cut, their burn qualities are different.
I like to Rattray's Exotic Passion (Orange) with Virginia blends and sometimes even a pinch or two with Quiet Nights English.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I mix 50/50 Edgeworth ready rubbed with Old Dark Fired ready rubbed for some added depth.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If one of my English or Balkan blends is extra dry, I'll put that for the first (bottom) half of the bowl, and another one on the top. Not very adventurous! Oh, and sometimes I will sprinkle the crumbs from an old Penzance tin on top- really, a sprinkling, but I can taste it- for a couple of minutes. Guess that's more of a parfait than a mix.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I had some leftover grasmere flake rubbed out so I mixed it with the lane edge worth match. Very good combination I must say.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
I have mixed some but only becouse there was so little of one of them so i needed more to fill the bowl.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
In the two examples of great combos I love to smoke, I like each one on its own as well.
Peterson Irish Flake with Comoy's Cask #7 - a flake + coin that maintains the great taste of the IF but softens the kick.
Dunhill London Mixture with Mac Baren Cube Silver - Inspired by Captain Black, Black Sea I decided to mix sweet and savory coming up with surprising success.

groovediggerdan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2017
Possum Trot, MO
As of late, I've been adding pinches of The Virginia Cream into Blend for Cary Grant. Pretty tasty if you like an English Aromatic with just a bit more aromatic.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I recently discovered that D&R TwoTimer & 3 Sails makes for a nice BurVa. The TwoTimer's cut helps carry the angel hair of the 3 Sails, too.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I remember reading about mixing 3 oaks original with Mississippi River for something reminiscent of frog Morton on the Bayou. I'm going to try that with the special reserve, but not yet. I've mixed red cake with some Latakia blends but mostly I've just mixed blending components. I wish I were bolder with mixing but I love most of my tobaccos as they are.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Wolf Larsen's Favorite Mix = Plum Pudding Special Reserve with a dash of Sutliff Vanilla Custard.

Mmmmmmm goooood.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of my best bowls have been mixtures, when I have a little of something left and mix it with something else I think might go well. I don't keep the recipes, just consider them little gifts form the pipe elves. Also, I have a few condiment tobaccos that add variety now and then -- Lat, cigar leaf, Perique, straight Virginia. If you don't do a mixture now and then, you're missing good experiences. I call them mixtures not blends, since there's no heat, pressure, or aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.