PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am going to post a much longer review of the Columbus (NASPC)Pipe show, but wanted to get in a quick post about a carver I met there.
JoeHinkle_zpsbcbc39e5.jpg
[/url][/img]
Joe Hinkle is a new guy to the pipe carving arena. Columbus was his first show. I was tied up most of the time but a friend of mine, Carl, late in the show went over to look at his work. Carl is a big-time buyer and extremely knowledgeable about pipes and carvers. He was very impressed with Joe's work and bought two of his pipes. He did this solely to give encouragement to a new carver.
Here is a shot of all the pipes Joe had on this table.
JoeHinklepipes_zps2480c97c.jpg
[/url][/img]
The pipe in the top center, the half-bent blast, I just had to have.
Guys, Joe is a new carver and like many other new carvers he is willing to pay his dues. His pipes are under $200. The three other new carvers I saw at the show were starting at $350.
You can find Joe at Instagram@solomon_pipes. I believe he will soon be on tobaccopipecollectors.com

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
A couple of established carvers I spoke with mentioned they like his stuff alot. Glad to see someone new is doing more than YouTubes and Etsy. You gotta get the stuff out there in person, to the people who matter.
Also, any "new carver" who is starting theirs at 350 can pound sand. I want to know names. I am dead serious man. Time for some peoples' feelings to get hurt. There are some established carvers who hit the pavement and took ANYTHING they could get in their first year.
350 for a new pipe. GTMFO.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I had a look at his pipes. I came very close to buying that half bent blast with the orange cumberland stem (top center in the pic) He seemed like a nice guy and his work was nice. Nate king spoke very highly of him. He said that we should all buy his work now before he takes off.

May 31, 2012
I always look forward to seeing/reading your show reports!
This is a great appetizer.
Thanks.
btw

...for anyone interested, Joe is having an "after show fire sale" with 2 available pipes priced at $149,

a great deal!

Have a look,

http://instagram.com/solomon_pipes
:!:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I enjoyed meeting Joe before the show and spent some time pulling the pipes apart and giving him some critique and advice.

From a pipe makers point of view, he has a strong grasp on fundamentals, nice styling and good construction.

I found myself fighting the urge to buy that dublin, something about the size and proportions was just different enough to grab my attention. Then I remembered, I'm a full time pipe maker, so I can't afford new things :D

Status
Not open for further replies.