PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
A couple of posts today got me thinking that there are a few of us with colored pipes (ie: pchitti and Saintpeter). Why did we buy them? What is it that we like or dislike about them? You get the drift. Here are mine:
Peterson Irish Sea 69

Peterson Killarney Red 68

The Irish Sea was bought to honor my grampa Wallace who taught me how to love a pipe.

The Killarney Red was a whim, it's a nice smaller pipe, just not my favorite.

Jan 8, 2013
I heard they brought the Irish Sea Petersons back, but I can rarely find any online. I think Cup o Joes has one or two, but they're straights and I really want a bent similar to the photo above. I can't pull the trigger on one right now anyhow, but I'd like to know I could find one somewhere when I'm able.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Thanks to the civil rights movement, colored pipes no longer need sit at the back of the rotation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For my recent birthday, at my request, my wife gave me a Chacom Exquise straight billiard in deep green, said

by Iwan Ries to be made exclusively for them. It has disappeared from their site, so it must have been the last

one. It is Chacom shape 185, a beautifully balanced, just-right sized pipe. I guess my Peterson Around the

World bulldog, in honor of Ireland, is also colored, a bright orange-brown. I think these lend a pleasing accent

to a rack mostly stocked with many various shades of brown and ebony. The Chacom gives a strongly traditional

feel, not jazzy at all. In some ways, it is one of the most conservative pipes I own. Blues and greens were really

big two or three years ago and seem to have faded a bit from the scene, though like most fashions, they will

come back around over time. There are certainly plenty of them still on offer, just not at the forefront.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Anthony,

Try Tobaccopipes.com - they had a few Irish Seas a month or so ago. I bought mine when there were no choices in shapes, luckily I liked the 69, my preference would have been a 999. Iwan Ries had a blue Peterson but I can't remember what they called it, and I think I saw a British Racing Green there also.
Guys, you talk about your colored pipes, where are the pictures?
Just went to TP - no Irish Seas left. Iwan Ries had Peterson 4U (blue) in an 05 and 999 shape. 4noggins has Peterson Green spigots. CupOJoes has one Irish Sea 87, but they do have several styles of the British Racing Green pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wouldn't want a whole rack of colored pipes, but I'd really miss the Chacom 185 in forest/racing green now.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Nice looking pipes. Let us know how they break in.
I'm hesitant to buy another Peterson. I hear they dip the entire pipe in the stain so even the inside of the bowl is coated in the stuff. That kind of bothers me and that is my understanding why it takes so long to get it really broken in.
Don't mean to rain on your parade or anything like that. I do have to say though that I've got a Peterson system pipe that's about 20 years old and smokes great. I'd really like to get a Peterson Spigot sometime.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Chacom Exquise came with a fine unfinished inside bowl! It was done right, another reason to love it.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Wow, those pipes are like my new Dracula; love to get one like the Irish Sea one. By the by (or is that bye the bye?), it does take a rather long time to break in a Peterson's, but there are worst tasks. :lol:

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
My Peterson Tankard serves a dual role. One for Paddy's day and two for my heritage. So in the end the same get drunk and be happy about being irish. lol
Though it is not colored any different than 90% of the other pipes available, just not as common of a stain. I do not know how I would feel about a painted or even the shellacked pipes.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I have a green pipe collection because of my name. Some good pipes in it: Savinelli, Peterson, Big Ben, etc.

And then there's these:
prn_016.jpg

unclefester13

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
I just picked up a Peterson red killarney with a p/lip and I think it's a bulldog or rhodesian style. I just love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.