Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Next
HISTORICAL PHOTOS

6 Unbelievable But True Facts About Colonial America

ADVERTISEMENT
BackNext

CURRENCY
English money could be hard to come by, so many colonists used tobacco leaves as a form of currency. Tobacco was measured out and given a value equivalent to English coin, and could be used to buy and sell goods all over America.
Spanish dollars were also popular, as Florida was controlled by Spain for most of the Colonial period. Spanish money made its way throughout the colonies and was part of the menagerie of early American currencies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Hence the famous "Parson's Case". Men of the cloth back then were paid in tobacco. During a period in which tobacco prices took a hit a certain Parson sued the local township, claiming that he should get more tobacco to compensate for the lower prices. He went to court and won... Along comes Patrick Henry a no name up and coming lawyer. During the "award phase" (a separate phase not associated with the actual trial itself) of the proceedings he argued for the defense. He basically said that these are "men of the cloth" and should be ashamed of asking for money to preach the word of God. The jury agreed and awarded the plaintiff 1 penny!
I seem to recall he went on to do other stuff too... :wink:

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
Tobacco was in high demand for the fur trade. The Hudson Bay Co. in Vancouver used tobacco leaves to pack fur in to be shipped to Europe. The tobacco prevented the bugs from destroying the pelts and may have also introduced tobacco to parts of Europe. I wonder if leather flavored tobacco was any good to smoke, especially in those clay pipes?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
The mention of the Hudson Bay Company got me wondering...
_bg.jpg

_1.jpg

kgrhqrhjeufelrii0csbrfrjzc8w60_35.jpg

Never gave it much thought but they must have handled lots of tobacco back then, the only supplier of anything at all for years and years. Perhaps something for MLC to look into someday :puffpipe:

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
Nice looking tins davet. Tobacco and alcohol played such a big role in the advancement of our species its a shame that our history is becoming censored.

May 31, 2012
Perhaps something for MLC to look into someday.
I'm totally focused on the olde UK stuff,

although the Canadian and Australian tobo industries do interest me,

I probably won't be compiling info on them or saving images to archive.
The Hudson's Bay tobacco story would be great reading though which I'd thoroughly enjoy,

as well as Rock City because they had some cool looking tins,

and the story of Imperial and Ogden in Canada also fascinates me.
I almost bought this book,

except shipping cost is crazy... it weighs 2.7 pounds!
Tobacco Tin Price Guide - LAST ONE
...seems to have a good splash, but I think it'd be more interesting if it was strictly Canada tins only,

along with company histories & etc, instead of a simple price guide,

which essentially equates to a picture book because price guides are never accurate!

May 31, 2012
Hudson Bay was British, established in 1670 I believe. Most workers in the posts were from Great Britain. A very long interesting story.
If they would have made their baccy in Britain I'd have an archive compiled :)
Still,

very interesting indeed.
Any of their catalogs online?

They look interesting as well:

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/edu/ViewLoitLo.do;jsessionid=76B5E2A7AFEC7D055C0980497E9396DA?method=preview&lang=EN&id=25041

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
In addition to still trading up north, the Hudson's Bay Company operates department stores across Canada: The Bay. Please look at Davet's picture of the tobacco tins, especially Fort Garry. The old fort shown on the tin is a major landmark in downtown Winnipeg.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
While waiting in the Toronto airport I was speaking with the clerk in the Hudson Bay store about their blankets, still for sale and very expensive. I mention some old ones I had stamped CNR & DNR and she said to contact their archives for info or identification. Might be worth a look.
Hudson Bay coat for my dog :roll:
imag0405-600x358.jpg

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Reproduction of a three-pound “carrot” of tobacco. The tobacco is wrapped in cloth and bound with twine. The label identifies the contents as Imperial Tobacco, the weight of the contents, and the Hudson’s Bay Company as the supplier.
This reproduction was made for the Hudson’s Bay Company as a gift by the Imperial Tobacco Company according to one type of packaging that was popular in the 18th century.
26-hbcs-200-tobacco-carrot1-600x410.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Worthless paper money? Great! So my new car was free? I love it. I offered tins of certain valued tobaccos but, they weren't interested. All they wanted was my worthless American currency. At my local tobacco store they only want currency for their tobacco products. Full circle?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Along this line I recall an article in the Winter 2010 edition of "Pipes and Tobaccos" magazine about the late Wally Frank. It included a reprint of an illustrated two-panel "Oddities of Pipedom" item from either one of his catalogs or an issue of his "Pipe Lore" magazine, and which stated the following:
Panel One: "A Wife For Tobacco - In the early days the Hottentots of central Africa bartered their wives for tobacco."
Panel Two: "Worth its Weight in Silver - When first introduced in England an equal weight of silver was necessary to purchase tobacco."

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Worthless paper money? Great! So my new car was free? I love it. I offered tins of certain valued tobaccos but, they weren't interested. All they wanted was my worthless American currency. At my local tobacco store they only want currency for their tobacco products. Full circle?
Warren, allow me to clarify my statement. Our paper money is worth less than what it used to be worth. Devaluation of the dollar began when our money was no longer backed by gold and silver. Personally I do a lot of bartering. I have actually made better deals bartering for all kinds of items, including a car, vs paying with dollars. I win, and the person I barter with wins as well.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
A Wife For Tobacco - In the early days the Hottentots of central Africa bartered their wives for tobacco
The first women brought to Jamestown (for wives for the settlers) were paid for with tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.