PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
Lately I have seen a lot of friends, as well as random people I dont know smoking pipes around my college campus. Today I decided for sure that there needs to be a pipe club here. So, through social media, I have been getting the word out. There are already a handful of people that have joined, and even more that have shown interest. Wish me luck in getting this thing up and running.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Great idea! Best of luck to you, Brandon.
Don't be discouraged if it starts off slowly. Just stick with it. And keep us posted.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
bbauer:
A college pipe club sounds like a really great idea. I wish my college had one. I certainly would not mind being faculty advisor to such a club. Students must be the ones to initiate such a club.
A pipe club would be defined as a social (as opposed to academic) club. If your college has other such clubs that focus on a particular interest or ideology, then there should be no reason for a pipe club not to exist. I assume that it would have to be formed consistent with the smoking rules of your college and the bilaws of your school(assuming of course it was to be a school sanctioned club).

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
As of now I dont think it would actually be affiliated with the school in any way. My goal is to just get the word out (mostly on facebook and by word of mouth). We can see where it goes from there. I have a hard time seeing my school allowing an actual club on campus that promotes smoking.....its a relatively conservative school and you technically cannot smoke inside any buildings or in any public place on campus (aka you have gotta be in a parking lot or off campus...). But at the same time just about all my friends either do or have smoked a tobacco pipe before.
Let me know if any of you have any good advice for starting a pipe club though.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
bbauer: Given that your school is technically antismoking, then there really would not be any advantage associating it with the college. By forming it outside of the college and not utilizing the college resources (which it sounds like you would not be able to anyway) you would not be subject to their rules of governance.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
Yeah it should be a lot of fun. And a lot of guys are interested in it so I think it could work out well.
and Jud there is a local B&M. Only about 5 minutes away and really helpful. In fact just the other day I went in and asked for a specific tobacco that they didnt have. Well he placed an order for it right there so that it will be in next week. All my friends go there too and he is knowledgable and helps them find the perfect tobacco for each person. We probably could work out some way to meet and smoke there every week.

ocps

Lurker
May 7, 2012
Mount Pleasant, MI
Hey bbauer! I know that this posting is a few months old now, but I came across it and it definitely struck my interest. My name is Fred Lawrence and my friends and I started a pipe club at our college 3 years ago. We are the Order of Collegiate Pipe Smokers and we are located in Mount Pleasant, MI (Central Michigan University). Starting a pipe club in the college atmosphere is the best college decision any of us have ever made and we would do it all over again if we had the chance! Over the past few years we've seen our club grow in size and become more and more involved with not only our community, but with the pipe world in general!
I think it's great that you want to start one of your own. Coming from a fellow collegiate pipe smoker, please feel free to contact our club or me; we'd love to share tips and advice on what's worked well for our club. Also, we'd really enjoy the opportunity to network with you all!
Look forward to hearing from you! Best of luck!
Fred Lawrence

President

Order of Collegiate Pipe Smokers

ocps.cmu@gmail.com

Facebook: The Order of Collegiate Pipe Smokers

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
i wish my school had a pipe club i may have to try and join you in that endeavor. great thinking sir.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
There is a huge interest in pipe clubs from the Facebook generation. Awesome to see

Status
Not open for further replies.