Tags:  No tags yet. 

College Major?

(72 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by profpar
  • Latest reply from baronsamedi
  1. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

I have noticed that a lot of members posting to the forum are college student and was curious as to what your majors (minors) were and what your after school ambitions are. Who knows there may be other members with real world experience in the exact field you are intending, and who might have tremendous insight. (You can only learn so much from a book).

For those of school, what did you major in? I will start: BA (Major: Chemistry, Minor: Anthropology), MS (Major: Inorganic Chemistry, Minor: Physical Chemistry), Ph.D. (Major: Physical Chemistry, Minor: Inorganic Chemistry)

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im a second semester sophomore, My major is criminology (not criminal justice) and my minors are gender studies and computer information systems.

I have an internship lined up for the prosecutes office for internet crimes division, with a specialization in internet pedophilia crimes.

My career ambitions are either to do what I am interning in, or go to law school. Police officer is not off the record either at the moment

Congress seems to believe that 'Children are our future' is a phrase coined by tobacco advertisers.
    Jef I. Richards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. kamikazesasquatch

kamikazesasquatch

Login to Send PM

I'm about finished registering for my BS in Info Tech. Got my AAS about 10 years ago and figured it was time to finish it up. Although the AAS didn't do anything for me so I don't have high hopes for the BS doing anything for me either other than giving me peace of mind, which is definitely worth something.

No, my name is spelled 'Luxury Yacht' but it's actually pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll jump in....

Bachelor of Art; Music Theory and Composition (Piano Primary, and Voice Secondary, String, Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion Pedagogies)
    Master of Business Administration

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im going to a trade school for the culinary arts. After that im not sure. The dream is to have a 24hr cafe/bakery, but that would be a long way down the road

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will be graduating in May with a BA in Literature and History with a teacher's certification. I will be going to graduate school for Education and Composition and Rhetoric (writing theory). I may possibly go to Law School or study Literature. At this point it depends what school I get into, but I will probably become a teacher working toward becoming a college professor.

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. bbauer

bbauer

Login to Send PM

BS in Biology (and i havent declared yet but i am thinking a molecular emphasis) right now. I am done with 2 years and have 2 left to go. After that I will probably go the master/PhD route as opposed to most of my peers who are looking towards med school. I think i want to get into research and potentially even teaching. I currently have an internship at my school working with biofilm formation in cystic fibrosis. I love doing that and couldnt imagine doing anything else... but hey ive still got a lot of time to figure stuff out or change my mind.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

Lawrence and umberam3rica, I have always been at awe with those creatively gifted to make and compose music, create amazing culinary creations etc.

Sherlock, being a college professor has been and continues to be a great career (sometimes invigorating other times fustrating, all in all I couldn't imagine doing anything else.). Any thought as to what level? In a two-year or small liberal arts one spends most focus on teaching and developing the level of reasoning formalizm., whereas as the research university most focus is on reseearch, with teaching being the minor part of the academic contract).

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Propar I haven't really decided, but I am leaning toward a smaller teaching oriented school. My emphasis will be literacy development so I will probably teach at both secondary and post-secondary levels.

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

bbauer: My department chair is a microbiologist. The Ph.D. program is a wonderful test of endurance. Its the time that you get to push the envelope! As an undergraduate you mostly learn about microbiology, as a Ph.D. student you are doing and innovating in the field. If you decide on pursing a Ph.D. in molecular biology, if possible pick a university known for it. The internship with biofilm formation of cystic fibrosis sounds like a really great experience.

Years ago a chemistry prof I had explained that a scientist was someone still stuck in the rhelm of wonder. While most normal people grow up and get normal jobs, the scientist is sill hiding behind trees playing "cowboys and Indians." By definition you are seeking to know that which is not known.

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. eaglerico

eaglerico

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a BS in Mathematics and am now a Cost Analyst / Controller in the PetroChem and Energy sectors.

Glenn
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

Sherlock: I am a full professor at a two year college in Georgia. My research interests have transitioned from physical chemistry to chemistry education. I am currently interested in cognitive development as it relates to learning chemistry. I have become convinced that for substantive learning to take place greater emphasis has to be placed on the development of reasoning skills, ultimately transitioning a student from an informal thinker resigned to low order cognition to one capable of metacognition. I am likewise interested in the role that the affective domain has on learning and believe it to be nontrivial.

A potential way to establish yourself in both the secondary and post-secondary arenas is to focus on getting established in a secondary level school and then teach part time at a community college. In GA you have to have a masters in the subject area you teach in with at least 18 graduate level credits. A two year school typically looks for a greater understanding of how to teach.

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

I am trying to major in psychology (to be more specific, clinical psychology.) I am only a freshman though, haha.

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

Mushjoon: My late father was a clinical psychologist.

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a B.A. in Philosophy.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. mluyckx

BelgianTex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually have a lot of BS

All kidding aside, European degree in what is called here "BA in computer science", a couple of certifications post graduation (PMP, conflict management, etc). Currently seriously considering a..... (drumroll please) Th.M, M.Div or MABS (to stay with the BS theme ). The difference is whether I want to add on the languages to get a full Th.M. 30 credit hours of Greek and Hebrew are kinda putting a damper on that.. We'll see.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lawrence and umberam3rica, I have always been at awe with those creatively gifted to make and compose music, create amazing culinary creations etc.

I wish I could compose music. I'm very good at memorizing songs though. Not just the words buts beats, riffs, intros, basically the whole song after hearing it only a few times. It only works for songs iI like though. I also wish I could play and instrument. I love music. A part of me died when my iPod was stolen

Posted 7 years ago #
  18. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

profpar - my hats off to you, that's no small feat.

I was an English major, but I never finished.

“ Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please. ”
    — Pythagoras
    Posted 7 years ago #
  19. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BA, Multidisciplinary Social Science, concentration in public policy issues, specifically, the nature of government and its relationship to the citizen.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 7 years ago #
  20. jcsnaps

jcsnaps

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BA, then MBA

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. revs

revs

Login to Send PM

AAS in Electronics Technology. Probably the same school that Kamikazesasquatch went to just a different campus.

Only worked in the field a short time. I was making almost double working on a loading dock at nights so I stuck in the physical labor field and left the nice, comfortable, heated job to others. What was I thinking? But, I would not trade my experiences for anything.

Dudes of the world abide.
    "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  22. cesconable

cesconable

Login to Send PM

I'm earning my Bachelors in Information Technology / Info. Security but will be changing my concentration to Programming. I've been playing around with Java and had a few classes on C+ and C++ a while back and love messing around with it. When I was still in the Army I took a years worth of Crim. Justice classes thinking I wanted to be a detective....I still do (it's basically what I did in the Army.) but life isn't leading me down that path.

Posted 7 years ago #
  23. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BS in Communications (English and Journalism) so how the heck did I end up in IT?

Posted 7 years ago #
  24. pipedisciple

pipedisciple

Login to Send PM

BAS in Bus.Admin/Mgmt. Work as a Certified Substance Abuse Counselor Advanced in NCDPS.Go Figure.

Posted 7 years ago #
  25. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a student of Open Air University (School of Hard Knocks), with three majors in Wondering, Wandering and Wishing.
    Actually, I made it through 1 semester of college. Just not my thing, but I did manage to earn .5 credit in Scuba Diving.
    Some days I wish I stayed in school. Other days I'm happy with the education of a wandering man.

-Ryan Alden
    Posted 7 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

BS in Photography...and is probably one of the worst things I could've done to myself.

Posted 7 years ago #
  27. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Music, Computer Sciences, then Marketing.

I originally wanted to be a rock star.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 7 years ago #
  28. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I originally wanted to be a rock star.

That could explain your previous "Accessory" thread haha

Posted 7 years ago #
  29. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started off with a B.Sc., majoring in Food Sciences with an eye towards sensory evaluation (pun fully intended); and launched my first business venture. I Then went back for a B.Comm/Marketing, and somehow ended up walking away with an MBA and a pile of student loans before partnering in my current enterprise.

If the Canadian government continues to subsidize post-secondary education for those past the age of 65 when I hit the magic number (and I am financially stable enough to do so), I plan to return to begin the road to a doctorate in Archeology.

Posted 7 years ago #
  30. puffin

puffin

Login to Send PM

I have a BA (Premed, General Biology Major, Organic Chemistry and Environmental Studies minors). Got into Medical School, but was so turned off by the process that I went another route. I and am 3 credits short of a Master in the Art of Teaching (MAT). I will be licensed to teach Biology, Physical Science, and Chemistry 5-12.

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect. - Aldo leupold
    Posted 7 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

i have no degree (un educated)... however i worked in a chemistry lab for 23 years... did i spell that right? i was taught on the job. i work for a chemical co. i have 33 years service. worked in production, shipping and recieveing, qc, analytical and r+d.... currently back in production, which will see me into my retirement. i analyized all products produced in manufacturing. did all of the pm on insturments. loved it. worked on many special projects for the company. i have been blessed to be able to experence those fascets of the job, which most floks do not get to experence unless you are collage degree.

take care.

mike lyvers.

Posted 7 years ago #
  32. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

AAS in Music Management and Merchandising, AAS in Funeral Services. Graduated with honors both times.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 7 years ago #
  33. kamikazesasquatch

kamikazesasquatch

Login to Send PM

@Bigvan
    I've been in IT for 12 years now (I think) and I'm still the only person I know in the field who's degree is actually in IT. Most others either have no degree or have one in a different area.

Posted 7 years ago #
  34. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Propar you pretty much nailed my whole teaching plan on the head. One of the reasons I chose Composition and Rhetoric is because its high probability in getting a tenure track job. Once I am done with my two masters degrees I will probably get my Ph.D in Literature. After that who knows.

Posted 7 years ago #
  35. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BS in Statistics and Industrial Management; MBA, and was halfway thru a PH.D in Industrial Management when Hughes Aircraft said I needed to take a early retirement. They were paying for half of it.

Posted 7 years ago #
  36. monstermash51

monstermash51

Login to Send PM

I'm a Pre-Forensic Science major and after my sophomore year I have to take a entrance exam to get into the Forensics program. I'm also a "dj". I make dubstep, idk if you guy will know what that is but I',m in the midst of finallizing and releasing an EP.

Posted 7 years ago #
  37. classicgeek

classicgeek

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bachelor of Science in Geography, with an emphasis on physical (as compared to political or other types of) geography. Master of Science in Environmental Science. And yet I ended up a systems analyst. Go figure.

If the Canadian government continues to subsidize post-secondary education for those past the age of 65 when I hit the magic number (and I am financially stable enough to do so), I plan to return to begin the road to a doctorate in Archeology.

I couldn't rule something like that out. School's a lot of fun once you take the pressure off. I'd just do it to keep the brain cells active.

Simon

Posted 7 years ago #
  38. kamikazesasquatch

kamikazesasquatch

Login to Send PM

@monstermash51
    Bassnectar and Skrillex get have been getting regular play time from me lately

Posted 7 years ago #
  39. monstermash51

monstermash51

Login to Send PM

@kami. I know! It's going to be really hard to get recognized while these guys are tearing up the scene but hey. I'm having fun and I'm staying head strong

Posted 7 years ago #
  40. jship079

jship079

Login to Send PM

I'm the guy that builds the building you guys work in.I am a union Ironworker AKA skywalker were the dumb ass guys you see hanging from the side of buildings over the open iron. fortunately for us we do as well or even better than a lot of collage grads with out the school debt

Posted 7 years ago #
  41. frtimmyd

frtimmyd

Login to Send PM

My BA is in Philosophy (with a minor in History). I also have a M.Div.

Posted 7 years ago #
  42. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Uh Oh! Hide the beer. the pastor's here!

Posted 7 years ago #
  43. mluyckx

BelgianTex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@jship079: Hats off to you (no pun intended).. I'm afraid of heights.. yet I jumped out of planes and rappelled out of choppers during my service.. go figure

@bigvan & kamikaze: yep.. most guys in IT I run into have no degrees in IT. No wonder I come across crappy database design all the time And no offense btw..lots of guys do excellent work !

@ Fr.Tim: Which seminary did you attend ? I noticed the collar.. so I'm thinking reformed ? Lutheran perhaps ?

@Baron: my best friend, Th.M and associate pastor is a home brewer Oh yeah, and I just gave him some cigars for Christmas. Should have bought him a pipe

Posted 7 years ago #
  44. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

my best friend, Th.M and associate pastor is a home brewer

Now that's my kind of preacher man! Turning water into wine (or beer, whatever he prefers) is a Godly talent!

Posted 7 years ago #
  45. reichenbach

reichenbach

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Started off with aspirations of studying political science. Did well in the intro classes but couldn't stand the idea of spending the rest of my life around people trying to be the one shouting the loudest. Landed in the English Dept because I love solitary contemplation, analysis, theory but hated numbers which cut off something more lucrative like engineering. Graduated with a BA in English and Literature and a Minor in Creative Writing. After graduation, went the English major life route of restaurants, bartending, book stores and house painting until I started my current job as a research tech for the Horticulture Dept with Cornell.

Starting to gear up for grad school application at the end of this year though to get on track to make something of degree and first love, Literature. I want to study either crime fiction, gender studies or Irish studies but the deeper I get, the more all three make sense together.

PS. I always asking for advice, so if anyone has any insight into any of that, I would very very much love to hear it. Thanks.

Posted 7 years ago #
  46. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mick, no offense taken!

Reichenbach, this may be a stupid question, but to what does studying crime fiction, gender studies (?!) and/or Irish studies lead?

Posted 7 years ago #
  47. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BS, Information Systems, MA, Political Science, PHD, International Relations: Middle East focused.
    I speak/read, French and German, speak Farsi, Arabic and with Russian mixed in.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 7 years ago #
  48. reichenbach

reichenbach

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not a stupid question, bigvan. It's not very apparent. I'm hoping it leads to being a college prof one day or else it is going to lead to a lot on scribbling in a smokey basement under a bare light bulb. All are burgeoning fields at various levels of establishment and I find each one interesting. It's like a diversified academic portfolio and all three topics could be classified as interdisciplinary, which is a further diversification. Crime fiction is underrated, Masculinities is understudied, and Irish Studies would be a lens for studying both. As an Irish-American Catholic male, I'm pretty conflicted and Celtic Noir is a fascinating niche, a real gem within Crime Fiction (particularly Ken Bruen). I just finished the first draft of my first personal statement, so I'm full of it right now, haha.

Posted 7 years ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

arinbjorn

Login to Send PM

I'm five months away from graduating a radiographer program, conducted in a Level 1 Trauma Hospital. In other words, I take x rays, and I go to school in a really big hospital =)

I take x rays 40 hours per week, every other week. The off week is spent in academics, in a classroom that was once a storage room back by the old nursing students used to live. There are 8 students, including myself, in the class =)

Being involved in regular x ray, portable x ray, surgical cases, fluoroscopy... it's been a really fun ride. All I have to do is pass my ARRT exam, and if that goes well, try to find a job...

Posted 7 years ago #
  50. buckley01

buckley01

Login to Send PM

I have a Technical certificate in Culinary Arts, A BS in Business and 1/2 a masters in Non Profit administration. All this has me underemployed in hospital food-service. Hmm-mm, I would like to start a brew pub someday.....till then I am content to home-brew, collect pipes and be really popular at church potlucks. My wife has a masters in education and is a Teacher. I have two girls in college. One is studying to be a Vet Tech and the other is in Elementary education.

Posted 7 years ago #
  51. woodsmansbriar

woodsmansbriar

Login to Send PM

Currently at a technical school in Texas for a two year degree in Agriculture Technology, then hopefully onto Texas A&M for a four year degree in Forestry. From there is unplanned.

Posted 7 years ago #
  52. modernchicago

modernchicago

Login to Send PM

Major: Architecture, Minor: Anthropology
    I Practice Architecture, and currently sell more pipes than I draw buildings (my profession has been devastated by this economy)....But when I do draw, I smoke a Preben Holm Fancy Matt freehand sitter and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue.

Posted 7 years ago #
  53. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reichenbach Good luck. I think you and I are on pretty much the same career path, although my interests are a little different.

Posted 7 years ago #
  54. reichenbach

reichenbach

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And good luck to you as well, sherlock. Different interests indeed, but if you have received any good advice about pursuing graduate studies or if you have any tips yourself, I would love to hear it.

Posted 7 years ago #
  55. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jship, I used to work for a student loan lender, and friends would ask me "my kid is about to graduate, what should he study?" Knowing how deep some people got into debt, I'd usually say "tell him to get into the trades."

Posted 7 years ago #
  56. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The best advice I got was from the head of the English Dept. at my school. She told me "Fifty percent of English Ph.Ds never get full time faculty positions, so if your going to pursue a Ph.D in English make sure it something you love."

Posted 7 years ago #
  57. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Hey buckley01, you should talk to uberam3rica. He's studying culinary arts right now. You could probably help him avoid some pitfalls!

Of course if anyone dreams of handling dead people (I'm sure you're all dying to know lol), I'm a fully licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer here in Texas.

Posted 7 years ago #
  58. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

@ModernChicago.: When I was an undergrad back in the 70's, I devoted as much of my non chem courses and electives tovthexstudy of anthropology. At one point I thought I might pursue it further, perhaps even do an ethnography. Ended up pursuing chemistry full tilt.

Posted 7 years ago #
  59. modernchicago

modernchicago

Login to Send PM

hey profpar - It's pretty amazing...after a while everything makes perfect sense.
    Regarding chemistry vs. anthropology - what are your thoughts about cooked meat and an evolutionary spike?

Posted 7 years ago #
  60. bbauer

bbauer

Login to Send PM

@Baron- I know this probably sounds crazy to some people but I thought about maybe getting a summer job/internship at a funeral service/morgue. I am a biology major and I feel like it would be interesting and helpful to see things from the other side of the hospital/health field. Plus if i want to get into medicine or something like that I need to be able to handle the good and the bad. Who knows, maybe im just crazy. I dont know if jobs/internships like that are available.

Posted 7 years ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

mattb

Login to Send PM

A BA in communication studies with a minor in construction management.

Posted 7 years ago #
  62. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

bbauer: the funeral industry can be a bit cliquish, but I know more than one guy who got in the door by washing the funeral home's cars. I got in by working at a crematory. It's easy to train crematory operators to run the retorts and later make removals at hospitals and the ME's office. Once you get that down, they will let you go along as the second man on house removals. If you can make it that far, often they may offer to help you get school or an apprenticeship. Different states vary in requirements. In Texas, you can work at a funeral home unlicensed, but there are some things you can't legally do unless you're in mortuary school or started an apprenticeship after school. Not to say there isn't plenty of work out there. Just wear a dark blue or black suit and a white or off-white shirt to your interviews. Mortuary services will often allow facial hair, but funeral homes will want you clean shaven 99.9% of the time.

Posted 7 years ago #
  63. dhintonca

dhintonca

Login to Send PM

I've a performance certificate from Berklee College of Music, Boston MA (woodwinds, composition). I played professionally for 10 years, then went back and did a B.Ed, M.Ed, and Ed.D in music and English (double majors) with a minor in statistics at the masters and doctoral levels. I spent 20 years teaching high school: 10 in music and 10 in computer science. Then taught at university and simultaneously ran my own IT company specializing in networking (this was in the 90's so networking was in its infancy!) and am now happily retired! But if you want advice, I'm a teacher - I love to tell people what they should do.

Cheers, Dallas
    Posted 7 years ago #
  64. frtimmyd

frtimmyd

Login to Send PM

@Mick & Baronsamedi: Anglican actually. Asbury Theological Seminary in Kentucky was my school. Most of the faculty there would have a heart attack if they saw me relaxing after Mass with a Scotch and my pipe. LOL. Actually I'm in the process of gather a bunch of my fellow pipe smoking priest together in a local club to be named the West Liberty Theological Pipesmokers Association.

Posted 7 years ago #
  65. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

@mondernchicago:

Sorry for taking so long to get back on the question regarding cooked meet as an evolutionary spike. If by evolutionary spike you are referring to a significant step in the social-economic development of mankind, then it most certainly must have been. Never considered it before, but given that even the most primitive cultures (Hunters & gatherers) cook their meet, then this development must have occured early in mans prehistory.

If by evolutionary spike, you refer to a macroevolutionary step in the development of man from lesser life forms, as my biology collegues often default to, I am one of the few scientists who has refused to drink the "evolution as fact coolaide" I am more persuaded by a model of intelligent design. That being said, I am not sure how the incorporation of cooked meet fits in. Ultimately I am persuaded by empirical data.

I tend to ramble a bit.

Posted 7 years ago #
  66. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

B.S. in Geography minored in Publc Speaking. Masters of Divinity, Emphasis on Missions and Biblical Greek

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  67. nmbigfoot02

nmbigfoot02

Login to Send PM

BS in Mechanical Engineering. Guess where.

Posted 7 years ago #
  68. harrumphicus

harrumphicus

Login to Send PM

This is a pretty broad question, but there seem to be a lot of pipe-smoking teachers here so I'll cast and see what comes back..

I plan on using my G.I. Bill starting as soon as fall next year to get back to school with the intention of teaching high-school level history, maybe eventually teach at a college. I've been contemplating my options for a while, but now that it's actually down to the time to start preparing this stuff, I have no idea where to start. Majors, minors, miners (those guys are important).. Just general advice on how to pursue this?

Posted 7 years ago #
  69. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

harrumphicus, I looked into a similar career path many years ago (a path I didn't take).

Following my undergraduate degree, I looked into teaching either at the high school or college level. What I found out is that if I wanted to teach in high school, I needed to take education classes. If I wanted to teach in college, I needed to take history classes. This really turned me off the idea of teaching high school, knowing I'd need to study most about HOW to teach instead of WHAT to teach.

Posted 7 years ago #
  70. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harrumphicus, each state has different rules for how they license teachers, but generally you want to major in the subject you want to teach and your minor will be some sort of teacher ed program. The course sequence will usually be determined by the education dept because you have to have certain classes to be considered highly qualified in your field of study, basically to meet the standard set by the No Child Left Behind Act. The best place to start is to either talk to the college you want to go to or visit the website of the Department of Education website for the state you want to teach in. Most private schools want you to be licensed, but not all. So if you want to teach at a private school check with the school you want to teach at. Oh one more thing, while it is possible to graduate in 4 years with a bachelors degree and a teacher license it takes most people at least 5, many times 6 years to finish.

Posted 7 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   samw74, boston, lightxmyfire, paulfg, cjforshi, oldtoby, hauntedmyst, jiminks