PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
I am curious why tobacco companies are not marketing special blends in special tins. As I see it, this hobby is as much about smoking as it is cellering.
Imagine some fine blend in a special limited edition tin that was only available for a certain time frame. Truns ales on these I expect would incredibly fast. They could charge a premium almost based on the tin I expect.
Thoughts?

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Peterson does this several times a year. Check out the Summertime blends.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
salmon,
do they become collector items based on their limited availability?
It is possible that ten years down the road they may be collectibles but it is no guarantee. Yes they are limited supply so if they are a really popular blend you might be able to make some real coin one day.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Peterson puts out three limited edition blends a year; Summertime, Special Reserve, and Holiday Season (it's a Christmas time blend).
I've collected them for the past few years and intend to keep on collecting them. Right now I put the tins out seasonally. I have the Special Reserve tins on the shelves of my pipe cabinet right now. In another month or two I'll shift to the Summertime tins.
Here's a picture I took back in January when I had the Holiday Season tins on the shelves.
an-iphone-album-021-448x600.jpg

As far as if they'll increase in value I have no idea. Not sure how long the tobacco would last. It' just in a cellophane wrapper in a hinged tin that isn't vacuum sealed.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I've always felt that the annual McClelland Christmas Cheer offerings are collector's items, even though the tin design doesn't change. Check out aged tins on eBay. Glad I've always picked up a couple extra tins each year to cellar.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
I bet if some company got inventive on tin shapes and styles they would sell. With today's technology, it's a shame that most simply use a sticker on some stock shapes.
The possibilities are endless....

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I'd rather not pay extra for packaging. I don't collect stuff. I smoke it. Sometimes it takes a few years to get around to it, but a tin, unlike a pipe, isn't really art to me.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
There is actually a whole market for collecting vintage tobacco tins. I have collected several vintage tins and am have been expanding that over time. I love going antique shopping and tobacco tins are at the top of my list for items to hunt for. Like most markets, condition and rarity determine price. Also, as in all markets, there is a big difference between reasonable pricing and just plain ridiculous. I am willing to pay a few bucks but am not about go broke no matter how rare the tin.
As for current production tins being collectible...if it happens it won't happen until maybe your grandkids are in the hobby. Most collectible tins are from the 60s and earlier with the older and rarer tins being the most valuable.
As technology and legislation has evolved it really has changed the market for what is collectible. Paper products don't really last and different tax laws hinders distributions.
Also, the tins that are the most collectible are the tins from brands that are no longer around or were not main stream. Velvet is no longer around (I think) but there we pretty main stream so their tins aren't very valuable. Half & Half and Prince Albert are still available and were what most people smoked, so other then nostalgia there isn't much value there either.
I think just as with pipes, it is really a matter of what you like. I too like all three of the seasonal Peterson blends and half order them for the tin as I do for the tobacco.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
salmon, I would also love to see mfgs create some cool looking tins that are not just paper stick on's but with the way governments are forcing mfgs to put those hideous warning labels on their tins it would be a complete waste of time. You are better off just collecting the old stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.