Collection of old Corncobs in need repairs - Advice please!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Ok, I have a collection of 4 old estate Cobs that need some tlc. All 4 aren't air tight and need some filler on the outsides near the shank hole, the odd corn seam line and inside the bowl base and rim etc.
The insides are fine, I can do that with pipe mud and wood base plugs for one in particular. But, I'm uncertain as to what to do with the outside cracks, and gaps. I want to retain the orignal colour as best as possible. What stuff around the home can I use to fill these gaps to make them true and air tight?
Also, do people ever oil their cobs? just for added sealing etc.
Thanks for any advice, I'll get pic's up later! :D

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Elmer's Glue-all will be a good friend to you here. I would not oil a cob; I suspect it would make it soft and soggy.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
Elmer's White Glue is all you need. While the cracks on the outside of the bowls are normal, you can fill them with Elmer's. Also it will seal up the shank/bowl juncture. This is the glue that Missouri Meerschaum uses.
Other than the naked cobs like the Missouri Pride, cobs are finished with lacquer or shellac depending on the model. I doubt oiling or waxing would add any extra protection.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In "The Ultimate Pipe Book" by Richard Carleton Hacker, he describes certain Missouri Meerschaum cob bowls as being sealed with a mixture of Plaster of Paris. Once that material had dried, I believe that the bowls were then varnished or shellacked . The aging of the finish, combined with the tars from the combustion of tobacco soaking into the cob, produce the lovely deep yellow/amber color of a well-smoked cob-pipe.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Well these are the 4 pipes. The little one has no base to the bowl as the pith has been pushed through over the years. Looks lightly smoked though and is pretty cute. I've got plenty of food safe wood and some natural cork at hand to made a plug which I will likely add pipe mud too.

I just ordered some Elmers glue and some plaster of paris. What does the elemers glue finish like? clear and hard like varnish? Will it plug the gaps and holes and not soften with heat?
Also, how about some plaster of paris for the bigger cracks and Elmers as a sealent coating. I had a nose at some varnishes and shellac but I don't know if I fancy risking getting any varnish fumes in my bowl..

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I don't get why anyone would waste life energy repairing a corn cob pipe vs just get a new one as cheap as they are.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
Perhaps this might help

http://corncobpipe.com/cobs-pipes.html

tRJj11M3B2I

Code:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
" had a nose at some varnishes and shellac but I don't know if I fancy risking getting any varnish fumes in my bowl.. "
You are probably correct about varnish; however, I would think that shellac should be fairly innocuous once dried.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Regarding cigar ash to make 'pipe mud' is it due to the finer grain of the ash left by a good cigar? or will pipe ash do alright providing it isn't full of dottle and lumps?

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Aristacob sells pipe mud that they claim is fire resistant and more permanent than making it yourself with cigar ash. They call it Miracle Mud.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Aristacob sells pipe mud that they claim is fire resistant and more permanent than making it yourself with cigar ash. They call it Miracle Mud.
That's a new one on me...will be checking it out. Thanks Fool...I couldn't help myself. :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I repaired a bottomless cob with a thin slice of 5/8" wood dowel, and some Elmers wood glue to adhere the stem back in. Aside from a few minutes of elbow grease, it was an economical way to keep an old friend out of the wood pile. I have an old corn cob pipe dated to the 1940's that still smokes like a champ, as well. If you can repair them, why toss 'em?

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I filled a crack in one of my (new) cobs with plaster of Paris. This is the stuff they use at the Missouri Meerschaum workshops so why use something else? I then sanded and stained the patch with wood stain and buffed it over with carnauba wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.