Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Collecting pipes by country

(14 posts)
  1. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does anybody have a collection of pipes based on where they were made?

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't but earlier on I dabbled in building Danish and NAC collections. You can build a collection anyway that makes you happy and fits your budget. Other collection themes can be focused on brand/maker, shape, size and finish.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I started buying pipes by brand, but now by country. The reason is that it gives me the ability to go beyond what I already have without having to pass up good deals. For example I have one Sav. Instead of just sticking to that brand, I picked up a Don Carlos that was unsmoked at about half price. Now I have two Italian pipes. I have two Petes, but by adding a vintage English that I really want, I'll have an English/Irish selection.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy French made pipes. They tend to be smaller in scale and are usually made with great care using quality materials. Some of my favorite manufactures are Chacom and Sebastian Beo.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My pipes weren't bought to include different nations, but they do. I have U.S., England, Ireland, Denmark, Italy,
    France, The Netherlands, and Greece. What am I forgetting? I wouldn't buy a pipe just to add a nation.
    I have to want the pipe for itself, and if it adds another nation, that's a plus. To get good pipes from
    Israel, Czech., Poland, etc., requires pricing up, and there are other pipes I want before those. I don't
    buy Meerschaums because that would open a whole new PAD (groan). So no Turkish pipes.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't, but I am tempted, sometimes, to pick up a new pipe (new to me, usually an estate) because I don't have a pipe from that particular country. Tempted may not be the right word. The truth would be that I would justify a new pipe because I don't have one from that country. For example, I don't have an Irish pipe, so one of these days I will stumble on a Pete at the right price and, of course, I'll need to get it because I don't have an Irish pipe, etc. Come to think of it, I have no French pipes, either. So, clearly, I need one of those. Nice the way that works out.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just checked on the collections ~ Seems like collection revolves around US, Italian and Danish

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. bwithers55

bwithers55

Login to Send PM

Most of my smokers are English. Many are simply stamped, Made in England.

Many of my better smokers are simply stamped, Italy.

Best Wishes,
    Bill Withers

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

isaiahsheelers

Login to Send PM

It seems like very exciting idea.. I have collected some electronic cigarettes click here of different countries and now it is time to collect pipes..

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since most of my pipes are Dunhills, I guess I collect English pipes, but I have some from several countries. Denmark, Italy, Turkey, USA are the best represented.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. hawke

hawke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Inspiring theme.

Are those Tobacco Brownies?
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. monty55

monty55

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, kinda. I have some different sections as follows... "American Masters" and "European Masters" (both mostly Artisans) and under European I have subcategories, England, Italy, Denmark, and Ukraine so far, more to come. Then I have a central section I have labeled "The Greats" which presently has Dunill, Savinelli, Sasieni, and Erik Nording (want to add Peterson and Barling to this). Not that it's pertinent, but then I have a section I label "Historical" which are very old and mostly unsmokable pipes that are just cool to look at. And a final section I label "Macrabre" which has one each briar, meerschaum, and clay of that "genres".

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I don't do it on purpose, but in the past few months I've been collecting primarily North American pipemakers. Italy comes in next in terms of number of pipes, followed by Denmark, England, and one Russian. If it suits my fancy (and I can shell out the cash for it) I'll get it - country of manufacture be damned!

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Monty 55
    I like the idea of the greats very much. simply must own pipes.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redglow, grilledokra, ashdigger, railman, alaskanpiper, sholto, anthonyrosenthal74, cigrmaster, redone, newportpipe, donjgiles, jeff540