PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I am only aloud to smoke outside for 2 reasons. First because I rent and cant, and second and more important my fiancée will not let me even if the landlord did. The weather is getting cold here and I was wondering what a good blend and pipe size should I smoke during these cold months.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Gaslight, or probably any of G L Pease's lat blends. Pirate Kake from Cornell & Diehl if you REALLY like lat (I do and have a couple of tins of it socked away for the winter)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Also something like ODF or FVF. Not a Latakia blend, as in a smokey flavor, but what I consider a full 'dark' flavor. Then again, I really don't pay much attention to what I smoke and the season. If I feel like lighting it up, be it winter or summer... I stuff it and smoke it.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
+1 cobguy

I had some plum pudding this morning when I got home from work. It was a bit chilly and was a nice smoke.

puffin

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2010
I am in Minnesota. We had a wonderful summer and an incredible fall, but as the weather turns I look to lat forward blends as well. Smoking a lot of Frog Morton, FM on the Town, and FM Cellar right now, but have tins of Penzance, Dunhill 965 and Boswell's Northwoods (well not a tin but a some in a ball jar) ready to go for the near future.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Lane's Crown Achievement is my primary tobacco. Latakia, perique, Virginians, and uh... I don't know... Some other crap. I don't have the tin in front of me, at the moment. Nevertheless, it is a fine tobacco, and the cooler the weather, the more I enjoy it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Where I am it gets to be -40 no problem, I would go with a group one with rope as you're looking at frostbite in about 60 seconds of exposed skin. Personally I hate smoking outside in the winter, I can't taste anything really, if I couldn't smoke inside I'd probably just not smoke during the winter months.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Smoke whatever you like in whatever size pipe you want to put it in. If it gets to cold you can always go inside for a bit and warm up and then come back outside and finish off the bowl. :mrgreen:

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I usually just smoke what I want, but I want to try something different and I figured since it is getting cold I would see what was good for cold weather I will probably try some of the suggested tobaccos, but will probably will keep just smoking what I feel like smoking.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
For some reason Dunhill Nightcap and the cold weather seem to go well together.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Ya just gotta love these threads about tobacco suggestions as it will spark 100+ ‘try this tobacco’. Don’t get me wrong as I’m not poking fun at them, and I admittedly suggested two tobaccos myself. But, more often than not the very same tobaccos would be suggested whether it be winter or summer! Like I previously mentioned, I simply smoke whatever tobacco I feel like smoking at the time regardless of the season as it never enters my mind. Hell, I’ll smoke even McClelland Christmas Cheer in July. Why, because I feel like it at the time and it seems to taste just as good in July as it does in December! I mean seriously... how many people here only smoke Latakia blends in the winter! If you have a taste for a certain blend, be it winter or summer, stuff it and smoke it. IMHO there is no such thing as a winter or summer tobacco. :wink:

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I picked up the seasonal tins from Samuel Gawith.... didnt care too much for the summer blend..but I'm finding the autumn blend very nice in the crisp morning with a strong coffee on my walk to work.
I'm not a Latakia guy.... so i didn't pick up the winter blend

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
How cold is cold?
I'll smoke outside while walking the dog down to about 20F. Much below that and even the boldest blends don't taste like much.
It's been around 40F lately and I've been enjoying three latakia blends from GL Pease's Old London series: Chelsea Morning, Meridian, and Gaslight.
For me, winter is the time of latakia blends and small pipes. A forty minute smoke is plenty when it's below freezing. In the summer, I'll pack a group 6 pipe with Full Virginia Flake and puff for two hours or more. Not so in winter.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
The cold is coming and I am really going to miss being able to just go sit outside and smoke. I have a feeling I may be smoking more short cigars and packing small bowls.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
In tend to smoke English blends during the winter. Not really sure why but I just enjoy them more when walking around at night in the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.