PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
The weather has recently changed, we've dropped from the high 60's down to the high 40's and the air is noticably damp. Autumn is finally here.
My last few bowls of English tobaccos have lost most of their taste and sometimes have a sour tang to them even though the pipes are clean and have rested for at least 48 hours. I've also noticed that the heel of the pipe is damp and I'm struggling to smoke the last 1/6th of the bowl, the tobacco burns with a sizzle so I presume it's damp. I've never had a problem with English blends before so I'm a little confused, is this normal in colder damp weather? Is they're a way round this?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Drennan, I have noticed the bottom 1/4th of the bowl with some of my tobaccos doing the same thing lately; my old standby's. Once the weather completely changes over and the air is dry (at least where I live) that problem should go away.
Dark winter Ales & Lagers should be available soon to go along with the Latakia...can't wait!

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
My question:

Where do you gentleman go to smoke outside?

Are you talking the porch, in your shop or what?
This query is coming from a Miami/So. Cal sissy boy.

Jun 4, 2014
"My question:Where do you gentleman go to smoke outside? Are you talking the porch, in your shop or what?"
Bloodwood, here in the PA the biggest problem for smoking outside in the colder months is the wind. It can be zero out, and as long as there is no wind having a pipe outside on the deck is enjoyable. Now add a stiff breeze that adds a wind chill factor, and its time to head for some shelter from the wind. I'm luck as I can smoke in my shop in the basement.
But sometimes there is something special about smoking outside on a cold crisp day. The smoke of the pipe mixing with the cold air seems to take on a different note, the tobacco tastes sharper, and the slight warmth of the bowl in your hand warms not only warms it, but your soul too.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I only smoke outside, mainly the garden but I also love a pipe on the river bank whilst fishing and sat outside a bar/coffee shop. If the weather doesn't allow me to smoke a pipe outside I go without.

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
Dutchman & Dren, thank you for the clarification.
I'm must concede, A LOT of pipe smokers are much tougher than I am. :worship:

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
Like dren I only smoke outside. I don't mind the cold so much, but the wind does get to my nerves at times when I have to go through an entire box of matches to relight my pipe over and over again. I have tried wind guards but I didn't like it. I guess I should just use a lighter, but I like the matches. Sorry for the rant I smoke Virginias and I love a good dark Virginia flake on a cool, crisp day.

Mar 3, 2014
The colder the weather the more latakia heavy blends I tend to go for. Hardly ever smoke lighter Virginia blends during winter. That the heel of the pipe is damp is not strange, a lot more condensation in the stem in colder weather. Even some of my best smokers can gurgle a bit when its really cold out.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
If you find your blends are smoking a little wet, leave them out to dry on a tea saucer for a while.

puffin

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2010
I must agree with the above posts...I find that lat blends really sing in the colder weather. Even lat blends that I like in warmer weather weather have a different flavor that I enjoy in the cooler evenings. Much colder is yet to come!

Status
Not open for further replies.