PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Often I leave pipes in my truck overnight. In the winter it is regularly anywhere from -7 to 14 when I get started. I put the pipe I going to smoke in my pocket to warm it up before I smoke because I'm afraid it might crack if I don't. Am I being too cautious or not?

I have had a meerschaum crack in just bringing it from outside to inside during an ice storm. In all of my years of lapidary, I have noticed that some specimens of stones are more susceptible to thermal shock than others, even faceted stones.

It could survive well, and take something huge to fracture it, or it could just be a 50F shift in temperature that cracks it. You never know till it's too late.
There's nothing wrong with babying it a little. Better safe than sorry.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I think you are being sensible, although smoking it should only heat the pipe gradually. Nothing wrong with a bit of caution. The only downside I have experienced with smoking in cold weather is a little more condensation in the pipe.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
I don't think you're being too cautious. At our old house, it would get down to -35 in my truck at night often enough (if not regularly), and I wouldn't leave pipes overnight. Warming the briar slowly to a more reasonable temperature before introducing fire is probably prudent.
If I were to say anything, its that maybe you aren't being cautious enough. My concern would be more for the stem material. Depends what it's made of, of course, but prolonged exposure to low temperatures and/or rapid heating from cold temperatures might be tough of them over the long haul.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
When I receive a pipe in the mail during the winter months, I open the box and let the pipe acclimate to my houses temp for several hours before I dare pull it apart, so no you aren’t being too fussy in my book.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Are the pipes briars? If so, I would bring them in the house. Cobs will hold up okay in the truck. I've left mine in my car overnight in the winter and summer with no ill effects. If you want to leave them in your truck, why not wrap them in a towel and put them in a small insulated container.

Ohh, my bad, I assumed they were meerschaums for some reason. I must have had rocks on the brain. Ehh, although I have never seen a briar just split with thermal shock, it's still better to err on the side of caution. My luck, I would have the first pipe in history to ever just split when lit.

Plus, there is that whole condensation thing, Workman speaks of.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had a dehydrated briar crack from smoking, but any cold pipe generally is warm by the time I get around to smoking it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It was a very old pipe. One the moisture from smoking it came through the shank, it split from bowl to stem.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
This is our warmest winter in awhile, not sure if it has even gone negative. I keep all of my pipes, briar, cobs and meer in my 4 seasons room. Gets pretty cool out there, I would say upper 30’s at night. I have never had an issue at those temps but I will see this weekend as it should turn negative.
Temps you mentioned I would warm them a hair, you know, your good pipes...cobs and meers..
:mrgreen:

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Yep, definitely smart to let them get somewhere near room temperature in your pocket before smoking. Any sort of drastic change in temperature has the chance of producing volatile reactions. Weather/storms/tornadoes, glass breaking, frying pans warping, etc.. I have no idea of the actual risk regarding briar but, like the others have said, better safe than sorry. I also agree with Ray in that cobs are a safer go-to for a truck pipe and shouldn't have any issues with temperature as briar (or at least be less of a big deal if issues occur).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds smart to me. Briars differ a lot in grain and composition. Even moreso stems. You might get away with never doing this, but it seems a good use of body heat.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I also seem to remember Russ saying something about this subject somewhere, regarding when you receive pipes in the mail and letting them sit for an hour or two, to adjust to the room temperature, before lighting up.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I left a cheap ebay briar on my porch overnight got down to about 32° the next morning the bit would just fall out of it never tried smoked one cold just cause of what iv read.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I wouldn't leave anything I want to ever see again in my vehicle overnight because there are wretched horrible grotty little toads out there who will break into a car to steal anything that looks like it could be pawned. It would be bad enough coming out to see your doors standing open or a window broken, but to realize your favorite pipe is gone forever and some crackhead is going to be using it for ... just no.
Also, yeah, seems like the drastic temperature change wouldn't be a great idea either. I like the notion of better safe than sorry on both accounts.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
1. The only thing I've had go wrong with Leaving pipes in the car in winter, is stems that no longer have a tight fit.

2. Cosmic uses big words to sound smart. Too many big words for me.

3. When did "Embers" change his name?

Status
Not open for further replies.