PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvs68

Lurker
Mar 15, 2015
Hi gang,
I've found a few great tobaccos that I really enjoy: Dunhill 965, Dunhill London Mixture, Ashton Artisan's Blend and Peterson Old Dublin to give you an idea of what I enjoy. I'm curious to try some flake or coins. The Escudo Navy De Luxe gets rave reviews and I'm sure you guys can recommend some outstanding flake but I have no idea how to smoke them. Can you give me a quick how-to on smoking them?
Thanks!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Flakes are pretty easy, but can present problems if you're worried about how many times you have to relight your pipe. To avoid a bunch of relights I suggest letting the tobacco sit out on a mat/paper plate/paper towel for about 30-60 minutes depending on how moist the flake/coin is. After that the option of fold and stuff or rub out is up to you. Fold and stuff is just what it says. You fold the flake/coin up, and then stuff it in the pipe. Don't cram it down in the bowl or it may restrict the draw, but just nestle down in the bowl and put flame to it. You could also rub it out, and that is simply just taking the flake/coin and breaking it up into a broken flake. How broken is up to you. After you've reached the desired broken flake just load your pipe as you would if you were loading a bowl of ribbon cut tobacco. Then put flame to it and you're good to go. There are lots of video's on YouTube that show the fold and stuff method and varieties of it as well as a variety of ways to rub out your tobacco as well. With time you'll find a method that you prefer and works best for your smoking experience.
Good blends to try:

Escudo Navy Deluxe

Dunhill - Deluxe Navy Rolls

Dunhill - Flake Medallions

Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake

Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Twist Flake

Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Navy Flake

Dan Tobacco - Patriot Flake

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Metalhead has given you all you need to know to get started with them. I tend to prefer flakes, broken flakes and coins and I don't treat them all the same way during preparation.
Some of my favourites are Rattray's Marlin Flake, Solani Aged Burley Flake, J.F. Gemain's Rich Dark Flake (you won't find this outside the UK), Samual Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls and Mac Baren Old Dark Fired.
Take your time with them. They can be finicky to get the hang of but worth persevering with I think.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is my favorite flakes, this should keep you busy for a while.

Virginia Flakes:

Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug TR

Fribourg and Treyer VintageTR

Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown FlakeTR

Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark FlakeTR

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Brick TR

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake

Hamborger VeermasterTR

Dunhill Flake TR

Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake TR

Astleys 109TR

John Aylesbury  Luxury Flake TR

Rotary Navy CutTR

Capstan Blue FlakeTR

Brigham Klondike Gold TR

Virginia/Perique Flakes

EscudoTR

Solani 633 TR

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy RollsTR
Virginia/Burley/Kentucky Flakes

Solani Silver Flake TR

Peterson Perfect Plug

GL Pease NavigatorTR

Petersons Irish Flake

Peterson University Flake

Esoterica  Stonehaven

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Wallace Flake TR

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky TR
Aromatic flakes.
Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake TR

Mac Baren Vanilla Creme Flake TR
The TR next to a name means the tobacco is ready to smoke right out of the tin.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Start out with rubbing them out, you can find a boat load of videos on youtube. Once you have got that down and you are enjoying them, it's time to start experimenting. The next method I would suggest is cube cutting them and then the fold and stuff method.

My favorites:

Reiner - Long Golden Flake

Orlik - Golden Sliced (similar to Reiner)

Escudo - (of course)

Dunhill - Flake

Solani - Virginia Flake with Perique

Solani - Aged Burley Flake

Solain - Silver Flake

I would have recommended Samuel Gawith flakes, but I just can't now that they have switched over to the Hoggarth factory and their blends are tainted with the Lakeland essence, if that's your "thing" than rejoice!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
've found a few great tobaccos that I really enjoy: Dunhill 965, Dunhill London Mixture, Ashton Artisan's Blend and Peterson Old Dublin to give you an idea of what I enjoy. I'm curious to try some flake or coins
Those are all English blends with the pronounced taste and aroma of Latakia. A lot of the flakes/coins people have been recommending to you are not, they will taste and smell nothing like the blends you currently smoke and enjoy. Not that you won't enjoy them. I smoke Dunhill Nightcap as my one and only English (feel no need to smoke any lesser English blend) but also enjoy non-English blends like DNR/Escudo (VA-Per) and Dunhill Flake (VA) and 4th Generation 1931 Flake (Va-Bur-Aro). Just be aware when poring through recommendations that if you want something in the same genre as you mentioned, make sure it contains Latakia. Then again if you want the quintessential English Latakia experience, it shouldn't matter what the cut is, just get yourself a tin of Nightcap and be done with searching forevermore.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
That's a great list Cigrmaster! I've made note of it. I'd certainly plus one the Escudo and Luxary Navy Flake, also I'd add Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky to the list as it is an extremely tastey blend.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
If you like a bit of a vitamin N kick then
Peterson Irish Flake

HH Kentucky Bolt

HH Old Dark Fired
Also
Rattray's Wallace

Three Nuns

MacBaren Dark Twist
are all fantastic smokes.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Escudo

Ennerdale Flake

Luxury Bullseye Flake

Dunhill Flake

Capstan Blue Flake

Luxury Navy Flake

Dunhill Navy Rolls

University Flake

Erinmore Flake

Irish Flake

All good flakes depending on your mood, or at least depending on my mood. lol

jvs68

Lurker
Mar 15, 2015
My order from P&C took a detour and won't get here until sometime this week so I went to a local shop with a buddy and bought some MacBaren Navy Flake. Wow! Amazing stuff!
One question on storage. All of the ribbon cut tobacco I buy I keep in airtight containers. Should I do this for the flake too or can I keep it in the tin?
Thanks.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Since the flake tobacco's are more moist then other tobacco's you can leave it in the tin. If you're going to smoke through a tin of tobacco in a short period of time you can leave any tobacco in a tin. I've left some of my flake tobacco's in their tin for 2-3 months and they've been fine. Of course its a matter of preference and what you like, so leaving the flakes in the tin or jarring them is up to you.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
One question on storage. All of the ribbon cut tobacco I buy I keep in airtight containers. Should I do this for the flake too or can I keep it in the tin?
Leaving wet tobacco in the tin means it'll smoke like crap until it finally dries to the ideal moisture. Given a well-sealing tin that could take longer than finishing it. Makes more sense to me to dry it from the get-go and then jar it to hold the moisture at that level.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
No.400 Superior Navy Flake/No.403 Superior Round Slices, these are good to...

Status
Not open for further replies.