PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Can someone tell me about baccy "coins"? I've seen photos of them, but what makes them special? And how are they prepared, and what are the best brands to try?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I personally love Escudo. It comes in a coin. A coin is basically a flake that has been cut from a roll pressed tobacco. Easy to break up and stuff in your pipe. Very enjoyable smokes.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
PS LBF (Luxury Bulls-Eye Flake) comes in a coin / medallion.

It's a good Va/Per with a Cavendish center.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
PipesMagazine.com's Mac Baren Factory Tour Part 2 shows exactly how they make the coins. Check the video at about the 5 minute mark.
mac-baren-02-02-240.jpg
mac-baren-02-03-240.jpg
mac-baren-02-04-240.jpg
mac-baren-02-05-240.jpg
mac-baren-02-06-240.jpg

A very good coin flake that stays pretty much under the radar is Newminster #403 Superior Round Slices.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, many of the Newminster tobacco's are unnoticed.

Other than that, I'll definitely have to look into the #403 Superior Round Slices and thanks for the heads up on them. Something I just never noticed before!

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I've been interested in the rounds... I like other newminster blends. Do they age well? Maybe with a disk since it's been mentioned they come dry?

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Interesting.I never even heard of tobacco coins until i read this.thanks to all who posted links as well.Good Information.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
FCoins are great, Escudo, Dunhill Navy Rolls are both a very nice peppery smoke. Bulls Eye Flake is more mellow, but extremely pleasent.
You can fold and stuff, which I find works great if you set a few coins out to dry for an hour or so.
You can also rub them out, and pack them like ribbon cut, with no drying time.
I would recommend, if you like any coin cut blend, to age them 1-3 years tinned or jarred
Your easiest bet, if you are questioning your pallet, is to ask for a sample of. BEF from 4noggins with an order.
The bulk BEF is cheap, and gives you the opportunity to separate large amounts into jars for aging.
I have 6 months on my BEF that im smoking almost daily, and its great
Warren

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Coins are one of, if not my favorite cut of tobacco!

I smoke a lot of them!
Dunhill DNR

Mac Baren Roll Cake

Mac Baren Dark Twist

Mac Baren Latakia Blend

Three Nuns

Escudo

PS Lux. Bullseye Flake and Davidoff Flake Medallions

Comoy's Cask No. 7
I love the way they pack and smoke!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Love my coins! I always have Dunhill DNR and/or Escudo with me and I'm now ordering the Newminster Slices and adding BEF to my 4Noggins order to get coins in bulk.
I fold and stuff, just like in the video (which is fascinating - I'd never seen the process in action before). I sheered away from unrolling the coins when I realised how hot and fast they smoke. I also always thought I was greedy smoking two at a time, but if it's good enough for the head guy at Mac Baren then it's good enough for me. Of course it could be a ruse to get folk smoking more in each fill; in that case, it succeeded!
Great thread guys,
Andy

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Coin cuts are great. Unfortunately not many manufacturers do them anymore, as it involves a lot of manual work.

sladeburns

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
I'm gonna throw in a "just because they are fun" to the list of reasons to try coins especially Bullseye.
How do you want to pack your PS Luxury Bullseye Flake?

Roll and stuff?

Rub it out?

Pop out the cavendish center and set it on top?

As a treat in the middle? Which way, horizontal or vertical?

Save it until the end?

Smoke it without the cavendish?

Save a couple for a bonus cavendish treat?
:)

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Smoking my first ever bowl of Bullseye Flake right now in a large Comoy's Silver Shadow straight billiard. I tried cutting it in strips and folding and stuffing as Per showed in the MacBaren video Cortez linked to (thanks dude!), but I screwed up the cutting and essentially shredded it.
This stuff is great! Seems thick and smoky to me, with lots of flavor, but I'm not very good at reviewing tobaccos. I'll try it again and do a better job of slicing it, not shredding it.
Pop out the cavendish center and set it on top?
That I shall have to try next :)
Sparrow, I can't imagine being a pipe smoker and not liking this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.