PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkrockarmy

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2013
Okay so earlier I went out to check the mail and I got a package from Boswell's! I ordered three ounces of Piper's Pleasure (my favorite aromatic so far) and one ounce of Countryside which I have heard many positive things about. I wasn't in the mood for an aromatic today so I loaded up a bowl of Countrysude in my English designated pipe, poured myself a cup of joe, went outside and started smoking. From the first true light, I knew I loved this mild English blend and watching the birds fly about on this beautiful Georgia day just made the experience more enjoyable. This was before I had an encounter with Lady N...... After I had finished my coffee about a third of the way down the bowl I started feeling dizzy and my head was pounding. I thought it was odd considering coffee usually makes me a bit sleepy and relaxed and that this tobacco is supposed to be mild to medium in the nicotine department from what I have read. Well long story short... I had to quit smoking because my head hurt too much to enjoy the rest of the bowl. Now on to my question. Does caffeine cause an enhanced effect of nicotine or am I just weird?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Caffeine is a potent stimulant, nicotine is a potent stimulant - your story adds up, does it not?
If and when your tolerance builds, that sickness will be an infrequent occurence. Until then, you could be in for a wild ride...

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Both affect the brain chemicals and hormones, and in similar ways: caffeine drives your metabolism up slightly, and nicotine has been shown to sharpen synapse activity. The two probably combined towards an overload effect and your stress hormones kicked in, giving you one heck of a headache.
I'd be lost if that happened to me. Coffee with my pipe has almost become a ritual!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I like to follow up a cup of black coffee with a straight burley such as the Wessex Burley Slices. Very complimentary flavours.
Straight Virginias are also an excellent choice. The sweetness really contrasts with the bitter taste of the coffee.
I prefer African beans and medium to dark roasts but I am fairly flexible...
Assam is my favourite tea - Earl Gray is my favourite flavoured tea. I haven't combined them with pipe smoking nearly as much as coffee, though.
Anyway, don't get too spooked when you experience the elevated heart rate. Your mind is just as powerful as those "drugs". You can let yourself panic when you experience those sensations for the first time - it can be unnerving to feel that dizziness from caffeine/nicotine - as long as you are "healthy", just remind yourself where the sensations are coming from and don't forget to breathe! That may sound silly but if you are prone to anxiety or familiar with the effect that these stimulants can have on your body in higher than normal doses you will understand...

punkrockarmy

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks, simenon. I like how coffee compliments the tobacco but I think I'll take it a bit slower until I bulid up a tolerance for nicotine. :)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
punk,
Start out with smaller cups and a slower drinking/smoking pace OR try drinking your coffee shortly after the fact until you get used to the combined "doses". It may sound silly but as someone who is sensitive to both it is not an automatic given that you can combine the two without adverse consequences. Slow and steady wins the race...
If neither one of those "methods" work for you, don't fret - there is more than one way to skin a cat. Experiment and you will probably discover the best way for you. (I reiterate that you should be sure that you're of fairly good health in advance, but if you are young and in decently good shape then that's probably as good as it gets)
Have you been smoking long? If drinking coffee by itself does not bother you, then perhaps you will just have to wait until the tobacco has less of an effect. This comes with time.
Caffeine has a larger effect on me than nicotine does. I can smoke fairly stout blends without experiencing much turbulence, but a small cup of coffee can give me the jitters... YMMV

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
For me, the only thing that goes better with my pipe than a strong cup of coffee is a glass of Johnnie Walker Black on the rocks. I am fortunate that they both agree with me.

Jul 12, 2011
I also enjoy Boswell's countryside blend, didn't feel much Nic from

it but then again I smoke blends like Irish flake, 1792, Bracken, etc.
Now I have also had a dance or two with the Lady in the Red dress,

I call Lady Nic...Funny because some blends have done that to me

in the past and then not...I think it could have been perhaps many

things; having an empty stomach (I really like to smoke like this now

and enjoy a triple espresso every AM with a good helping of Virginia,

VaPer or VaPer/Bur blend) or maybe dehydration (this mixed with Nic, bad

news, ever smoke a stronger Nic blend in dead of summer/POW!)...

Now what has helped me recovery quickly from Nic sickness

is some chocolate and a few tall glasses of cool water...
Also a good practice with a blend that is new to you is to smoke in

a smaller bowl first , just to get a feel for the ol gal ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.