PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Tonight on a whim I bought a box of Carter Hall. After smoking two bowls I can see why these OTC burley blends are/where so popular, and also why people would not care for them. On the one hand, I enjoyed the smoke. It was simple and straightforward. On the other hand, there was not a lot of complexity to it. It had a good/pleasant taste, but not much more than that. It seems that there will be no secrets to uncover here.
I can see that I will be smoking this tobacco, and plan to try a few of the other OTC burley blends, but it will not be my only smoke. It definitely has a place in my rotation, but I can not see it being my main go to tobacco. However, if it was all I had, I could be happy smoking a pipe. I will add that this will probably be what I smoke when camping, hunting, fishing, etc.
So for those who shake their heads at codger smoke, I get it. To those codgers who swear by it, I get it. For me this is not a smoke that divides because it comes in right down the middle.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Glad to see you've discovered the joys of Carter Hall! It's the only OTC I smoke regularly, but there are plenty of others that are worth your time, such as Prince ALbert and SWR. It's very simple stuff, but very tasty. It's also a great maintenance tobacco, meaning that it's useful for breaking in briars and eliminating ghosts.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
+1 on the hunting, fishing, camping thing!!! I think there is nothing better than a bowl of CH in my Grabow or MM cob on the lake or in front of the fire with the morning coffee.... Pure bliss!

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
Carter Hall in MM cob has a regular part in my rotation. I think the dash of VA is what sets it off from PA and SWR, the other OTCs I've tried. One of the delightful things about CH is that it always has a consistent taste and it goes equally well with a cup of coffee in the morning or a nice bourbon in evening. I tend to favor some blends more than others depending on temperature or time of day, but CH is always there with a consistent flavor anytime.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
On the other hand, there was not a lot of complexity to it. It had a good/pleasant taste, but not much more than that. It seems that there will be no secrets to uncover here.
OTCs are also not made from really good tobacco. I smoked a bunch of 'em, including some of the House of Windsor blends when they were still around. I'm glad I did it; it was interesting exploring these. But I have no desire to keep 'em in my rotation. I'll take some MacB Burley London or Mixture, or H&H Beverwyck, for the times when I want a simple smoke.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
If you enjoy them then smoke them,they may not be the best according to pedestal preachers but they sure work for me and alot of others.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Agreed on the Angler's Dream. It's a, uh, dream smoke.
H&H Old Companion is almost like smoking an less heavily cased cross between Half and Half and Prince Albert (more the former than the latter).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Along these lines, Granger is good for some pipe smokers if they like Burley. Just try a pouch,

not a can, to see how you like it. It's all Burley.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"OTCs are also not made from really good tobacco." Jud's right. There just simply isn't enough high grade leaf available for use in these mass market blends.

Dec 24, 2012
I say smoke whatever you like. I tried CH and was not a fan. That said, others probably look at some of the shit I smoke and ask "How the hell can he smoke that stuff!" Differences of opinion - that's what makes horse races fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.