PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I am not knocking cobs, have 4 MM's, but.. all my briars seem to smoke cooler & better than my MM's, but I still like them!

Am I wrong?

Aug 1, 2012
Yes, we must get you into de-cob treatment immediately. It starts by sending me all your cob pipes.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Can't agree. All things considered I dont think cobs smoke any better or worse than any briar pipe I've ever owned.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Absolutely!....

Well no.....

Uhhhhh maybe?
Way to take a solid stance Lawrence! :rofl: I agree its just a matter of personal preference. I love my many cobs and meer but reach for my briars the most.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Whichever one you enjoy smoking the most is the best! Personally I think they both have a place, I have several cobs and they are associated with some of my favorite memories like camping with my dad and uncle, fishing, and paddling. Not only do they smoke well but they also conjure up treasured recollections.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I have both and do notice that the outside of the cobs tends to be a little warmer but I chalk that up to lighter material and thinner walls than my briars. That being said the briars are for at home and over at my buddies houses, when I'm having a nice after dinner or morning coffee pipe. My MMs are better for those hiking all day with a pipe or multiple smoke breaks at work. This is just because my cobs don't need the rest that my briars want for. also right now I don't mind the warmer outer wall of the cobs because it's COLD out and it helps keep my hands warm :)

Get yourself a nice lat bomb, a cob, and a snow shovel...it's gonna be a good winter
that being said I do notice the ARO blends smoke alot wetter in my cobs than my briars

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Gads, are we starting this thread again? :rofl:
I smoke both. IMO, briars are better. But I love cobs and burleys - they just seem to go together.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
@jud, my thoughts exactly. on both sides of the fence are green pastures and rainbows.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
First off, this competition is rigged, comparing $4-9 pipes vs. $100 pipes is a bit extreme, with that said, here it goes!
Lately after many smokes out of my Peterson System Standard 305, I have decided that I like the briar slightly more. The reason being that it seems to smoke just a little better in quality (cob material ain't quite as good) and it'll be around forever, so I can get attatched to my briars and buy/trade them off as a hobby. Corn cobs seem to outsmoke this pipe right off the bat, but once a good solid cake forms they do not. I still use cobs as my travel pipes though, I still love them, especially my large bent general cob. But I mean a large general cob goes for $9 and lasts years (have heard up to 30 in some cases), while an entry level briar goes for $60-120. Cobs have their place...
One other subject you should look at is Mr. Brog pipes, they are made from pearwood, cost $25 (for even churchwardens), and are probabley a good step up from cobs (yet to order one, but heard lots of good stuff).

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Let me put it this way . When was the last time you changed the oil in your car or performed any physical labor smoking a high end briar . Ok thats settled . 8)

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
For me it depends on two things,where I am smoking number one, and what tobacco im smoking. For example, if im working outside or hunting or fishing or something where clenching may be needed, I like a cob, if im sitting in a comfy chair, a briar. If im smoking a deep tobacco or a spicy VA I like a briar, if im smoking a sweet VA or burley blend I like a cob.
No - it's called personal preference.
Boom

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
On the other hand, I enjoy the few briars I have, but prefer my cobs. We're all entitled to decide for ourselves. But if you haven't, read my Corncob & New Smoker Primer, and you might end up enjoying all your pipes a lot more.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
*Takes a bow to John* You are truely a legend sir :) The only cob I have burned out has a draft hole all the way to one side, I think that is the reason, since the burn out is on that side exactly and I was not the person who started the burn out, it was my fast smoking friend who turned an hour long smoking pipe (The Gentleman) into a 20 minute smoke.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
My preference is based on what i have smoked often enough to base some kind of opinion...
1 Meerschaum pipes (Quality Block)

2 Briar (£100ish and up)

3 Cobs (General and freehand)

4 Briar (£50ish and below) and Cobs (Missouri Pride and Legend)
Even with the above i am sure i will find pipes that will break the rules so to speak as time goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.