PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Do corncobs color better/faster when you have little cake? Or would it be the opposite? Im assuming, the less cake built up, the more the oils have to be absorbed into the walls of the cob right?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Interesting question. I bet that even with cake built up, the oils in the cake would leach into the cob after a while.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's one thing I do know. My favorite cob is a diplomat, and it has the most cake out of any pipe

I have, and it has the most color.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
To be honest this is the first I've heard of coloring a cob. I have a few MM Pride pipes, one bent that's whiter...but I've either not been looking or noticed no change... Do you mind posting a picture so I can see what you're talking about?

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
The top of my cobs get a bit of color but I always assumed it was from over filling as I don't give to much attention to a cob when loading it. Never seen any color on mine other than that.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
A new and a well smoked 5th Avenue. The old one has a very light layer of cake. There are 3 factors in play with cob coloring; 1) Oil and tar released from burning tobacco. 2) In my case my grubby hands when handling it and 3) Heat. Think how a piece of bread changes color when toasted.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
20141202_170628-112x150.jpg

This is the one I was talking about. This was taken a few months ago, it's even darker now

Status
Not open for further replies.