PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Are you referring to a salt and alcohol treatment for a cob? If so... DON'T DO IT!!

That is unless you want a useless soggy mess to smoke from. :wink:

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
That's what I figured Phil. What about as far as scrubbing the shank/bowl?

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
You can rub some alcohol through the shank on a pipe cleaner, and you can use a towel to rub some alcohol around the bowl, but no need to salt/alcohol the old-fashioned way....

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I think the first question would be why do you wish to do so (I'm referring to the S&A treatment of the bowl)? Perhaps if that question was answered more definitive help could be given. If it's simply a matter of cake build up just some 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around your finger (which ever one will fit the bowl easily) will do the trick nicely as I'm not all that crazy about reamers.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Just use the blade on your pipe tool regularly to keep any thick cake from building. I use a doubled over bristled pipe cleaner in the bowl after every smoke and sometimes twist a wad of paper towel into it. You can brush the shank clean with alcohol and just make sure it dries out good. If more than that is required, get a new one.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
+1 on settersbrace's methods. I was very late to the cob but I love them and they're soooo easy! I keep any kind of liquid away from them unless it's on a cloth or pipe-cleaner as I don't fancy trying to light papier-mache!
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.