PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Hey guys, I am entering a corn cob contest on aristocob.com. I have a MacArthur kit. I want to smooth it out as its a rough cob. I have plaster of paris and clear laquer like they use at MM. My question is what order to apply the materials, and how do i smooth out the cob like finished ones?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I'm assuming the bowl has already been drilled & turned since you said it is a MacArthur? That means you are going to have to hand sand it as smooth as you want it starting with some medium grit paper. I don't know if you plan to stain the bowl or how smooth of a finish you want to end up with. Instead of using the plaster of Paris & clear lacquer you might consider multiple coats of CA glue sanded in between coats for a glass like finish.
Watch this vid on how a pen maker using a cob does his finish. I'm thinking of making some tampers like this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Az3hmOygfJA

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
That is a sweet video @johnnyreb. I am making a corncob "cigar" essentially. I call it the ROBUSTO DE CORNCOB. So my plan is to have a nice finish from 75 percent of the cob and then leave the top 25 percent rough to mimic a burning cigar. Ill post pics later!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Jujitsu,
Sounds interesting, for sure. I really liked the glass-like finish on the pen that he was able to obtain with the CA glue. There is another video using a blue corn cob that finished out in a spiderweb like look. I thought I would pick up a few shelled cobs & try my hand at making some tampers & pens.
Never entered Aristocob's contest but I watch for the results.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
If you have segments or divots to fill I would fill them with the glue instead of the plaster, so they will finish clear. So sand starting with a medium grit paper which may open some divots, fill divots with glue then sand finer & finer in paper grit. When you get the overall texture that you want then finish with thin top coats of glue or clear lacquer sanding with ultra fine paper in between coats until you get the depth of finish you want.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I made a tamper a while back from a cob and finished it with CA. It takes several applications of the glue to fill those divots in a cob. Best to use a medium or thick viscosity glue. With the regular thin glue it would take forever to get it smooth. Using an accelerator is a good idea to speed up the process.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I thought using the accelerator you could probably put the coats on a little thicker at a time.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktK4mZ3twg here is the progress so far. Ended up going the plaster route. Turned out pretty good. now to color it. Any recommendations for painting it brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.