PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I bought a lot of cobb pipes on ebay. Yea I know they were cheap but I thought what the heck. They are plain corn cob bowl. I mean the cobb itself, ie not coated with anything. I smoked the first one and thought that this is burning good, too good. Soon i realized it was literally burning a hole through the side. It was then thrown out. ANyone know if I could coat it safely with something or maybe inside the bowl. If not I guess I got what I paid for.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
were they MM cobs or the chinese knock offs?
You could try some pipe mud but depending on the quality of cob it may just be wasting time.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Sounds like you bought a bunch of Chinese made pipes. Theres nothing wrong with American made cobs, they're great pipes. The Chinese ones that are hawked on Ebay by the dozen are total crap.

On the up side, you can still add some Missouri Meerschaum cobs to your collection for next to nothing and they will smoke great for you. On the down side, if you have Chinese cobs the best place for them is the compost heap.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
Yea I guess I must chalk this one up to "lesson learned". They are a chinese knockoff. MM cobbs seem to be the cobb pipe of choice.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I have 5 MM Diplomats currently, roate them out for my mon-fri sell out job. They work great. I have 1 MM Country Gent. and have it dedicated to MacBaren Vanilla flake. It just smokes best for me in that pipe. Dont know what I would do without my cobbs!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
MM Cobs are the best, but I got a forever stem from Walker Briar Works, and I like my cobs even better now. It's worth the money.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
I am still waiting my new 7 Cubs order to arrive for replacing my 1st cracked MM Cub.

It's really a great smoker and it was my fault to smoke it too hot that get it cracked in the side and above the shank
One of my friend told me to dip my finger in honey and wipe inside the bowel to coat it which help building the cake much faster but i am not sure if this method works on cubs.... will update you when possible

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@arabpipesmoker...Cobs don't need a good cake. Honey method is for briar pipes. I prefer not to try it with cobs, as the conduction of the cob is very high, let it to be cooled by resting the pipe only between puffs and control your smoking habit.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Jeff, maybe just hang onto those cheaper cobs to try out new blends or bang around the garage with. Money is to hard to come by IMO and by using them for something it will soften the blow of a lesson learned.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Jeff, you might want to check out my Corncob Primer and Buyers Guide to help you make wiser choices. As affordable as MM cobs are, it's a shame peoplke still get suckered into wasting their money on knockoffs.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Missouri_Meerschaum_Corncob_Buying_Guide

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
I've smoked a bunch of these Chinese cobs. I actually use them as 'disposable' pipes when smoke testing blends. Yes, if you are a frequent puffer (as I am), you can quickly burn a hole in them. By smoking very slowly I've coaxed quite a bit of life out of them, but ultimately you get what you pay for.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
every time i walk into a b&m i pick up one or two more mm cobs, bent stem diplomates. don't know why because the one i smoke almost all the time is over a year old with daily and sometimes multipuile bowls, ie one after another...
i need to join the corncob snob society....

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Leonard has willingly addmitted to smoking Chinese cobs...
Methinks someone be walkin' the plank tonight boys. Yargh! :puffy:
I personally can't wait to get a Meer to test out new blends in. But I do love a cob.
Half my smokes are in cobs.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Jeff and Leonard, if $6 for a MM cob too expensive so you must resort to buying that horrible Chinese garbage instead, perhaps you should rethink some of the choices you've made in life.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
$2.50 for a Missouri Pride MM cob. I like them the best so far, still haven't tried all of the cob types.
The Missouri Pride cobs with the natural finish (no finish) breath SO well. And they're crazy light. I love em.
$2.50

gbpackers

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
I ordered a Diplomat and Missouri Pride directly from MM at corncobpipe.com a couple of weeks ago. They arrived in 2 days. I used my MO Pride, but noticed that this particular cobb had a thin spot inside and on the outside of the bowl, which burned through almost immediately. The owner wants to inspect every pipe "defect" personally, even though this "defect" was due to nature. I mailed it back last Saturday and received my replacement today.
The MM cobbs truly are pleasant pipes to smoke. It's best to buy the real deal, and they're American made - and probably American grown as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.