PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
I just finished reading a pretty good article on bowl geometry and how it affects the flavor of the smoke:

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2010/10/31/how-and-why-chamber-geometry-impacts-tobacco-flavor.html
I'm using a Cobb now, and have the bent Diplomat and bent Country Gentleman on the way. I was just wondering if anyone that smokes a cob has discovered an aromatic(s) that they feel is accentuated by the geometry of the cob bowl. To me it is simply cylindrical with the bottom being mostly flat.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'll definitely read through this when I have some time! Sounds fascinating.
Regarding cobs, I figured the flavor difference, especially with aromatics, is because the corn "breathes" more than briar does while smoking. Something about the porous nature of the material rather than the shape.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Well that's a deep article! I read the first 1/4 of it as the nicotine in my pipe began to work on my concentration level. Rocking back in the chair, I conclude this post.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
If I had to put that much thought into it, I would have quit many years ago. Pipe smoking is simple
Tobacco goes in the big hole.

The small hole goes in the mouth.

Apply flame to tobacco.

Puff gently.

Enjoy.
It is all nuance after that.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
^^ Blasphemy!!! This is science, man! Seriously, though, I do actually enjoy reading minutiae like this, even if I will never put it into practice. I guess that's what separates the hobbyists from the practical smokers.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Tobacco goes in the big hole.

The small hole goes in the mouth.

Apply flame to tobacco.

Puff gently.

Enjoy.
It's a Zen koan? I like it.
Cosmic: best pipe for an aromatic is a sewer pipe. I kid... I think.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
The way I take it is how to maximize flavor, regardless of genre, apparently there's something to it.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
From what I think I've learned by reading Russ Oulette, an aromatic smoker will never taste the equivalent of the aroma (which is primarily the top dressing), because the piper's lips and tounge are separated from the top dressing by the pipe itself....as opposed to the cigar smoker whose lips and tounge are in direct contact with any top dressing on the leaf. But from the article I mentioned here, the smoke particles coming from the tobacco just below the tobacco that is combusting, is where the flavor is generated.....somehow, bowl geometry affects that. That's all that I "think" I understand at this point. Until I read into the "minutia", I never thought about the tobacco beneath the main heat source as playing an integral roll in taste as well as the bowl shape....I'm sure the pros knew.

Yep, well, it isn't combustion, but the heated tobacco giving off it's essential oils that you taste. Wide bowls give you a deeper flavor, because the cherry in the middle is heating tobacco to the sides as well. Narrow pipes just heat the tobacco below. This is why most of my Virginia pipes are narrow to focus the subtle flavors, and for more robust tobaccos I like a wide pipe. And, my absolute favorite Va and VaPer pipes are cone shaped bowls. But, sometimes, whether it is the briar or the shape, a pipe will defy my thinking on this.

But, it is common lore that narrows are better for Virginias and wides are for mixes or more robust flavors. But, it's good to mix it up with a variety of pipes when exploring anew blend, IMO, YMMV.

But, for aromatics, it doesn't matter. I smoke aromatics occasionally, at least one a day, but I haven't found pipe shape matters a hill of beans. Unless you are talking about big boy aromatics as in Lakelands or hybrids like Royal Yacht. Aromatics strong enough to make you set down to smoke. But, the fruity stuff... Doesn't matter. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.