PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Ready for summer!

1 straight DGE 5th Avenue, 2 bent 5th Avenues, 2 straight 5th Avenues, 1 straight Mark Twain, 1 bent Mark Twain.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
SWEEEEEET! :P
I love the Diplomats, Legends and Washingtons ... great smokers! :puffy:

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
All but the DGE are Walker Briar Works Forever stems. For some reason cobs smoke especially great in the summer.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Nice. Now, may I suggest you add a Freehand? It is one of the sweetest smoking pipes made and will give you the long smoke when desired. The General also works for me. But honestly, you could smoke your 7 day set for at least a decade before you would needanother pipe.
Did you talk to Dave Wolf before ordering your Forever Stems?
Pax

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Did you talk to Dave Wolf before ordering your Forever Stems?
Just curious, but why would you need to talk to anyone before ordering a Forever Stem? I've ordered quite a few for my cobs and I simply pick and order them from their Web site and have never had any problem. Other than that, cobs smoke well at any time of the year.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
The 5th is my perfect size pipe especially fitted with a nose warmer stem. Thanks to Aristocob for letting me know about the Twain's. They're the same size as the 5ths so that is why I have em. I may still end up with a freehand in the near future though.
I've emailed Dave back and forth a few times about the stems but nothing in particular.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hi Phil. You're correct. There is no need to talk with Dave before ordering the stem. But personally, I like to know who I'm deaing with and will usually call the vendor before making an online order. I like building relationship with vendors and Dave is awesome to work with and generous with his expertise. Asking leacha about conversing with Dave is just a way of establishing a commonality. But I have also ordered stems from Dave's website, with no issues.
Pax

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The fewer phone calls I am involved in, the better I like it. I will sometimes find myself engaged in hours long conversations, but I hate it. Especially nowadays with lags in signals and automated systems.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Different temperaments, different styles. Before buying from a vendor for the first time, I at least look to see if a phone number is listed on the web site. If no number is listed, I go elsewhere. Depending on how much I'm spending and the product I'm ordering, I'll sometimes call to see how long it takes the vendor to respond. If I don't hear from them for a few days, that may tell me what I may expect in service and support. If the vendor doesn't followup sales queries promptly, you have wonder how responsive they'll be if service is needed. Once I've had an order or two placed, I may then buy online from the vendor.But that is just me.
Leacha, enjoy your pipes.

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
I have been inspired!! Watch for my set in the coming weeks!!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I love my cobs and have about a dozen Diplomats and Patriots. I gripe that the bowls are too small for what I define as a "standard," smoke, but hey, if I want more smoke time I can always reload. So I've told myself to stop griping. But now I find on P&C that they have the Mark Twain pipes on sale, with chamber dimensions are much closer to a group 4.
So as it seems I can get that longer smoke with a cob, I might just stop buying briar; not, that was a joke as artisan carvers make pipes of great beauty. But think of it: instead of buying that next Ashton, I could roughly get 1.5 lbs of Condor:); a box of Fuente Don Carlos or Cuban Partagas Lusitanias. As you can see, with me the next five things I want can suffer whatever interruption and remain steadily in forward gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.