PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For anyone who missed the reference on another thread (supplied by pipe guru roth), permanent vulcanite and

lucite replacement stems for your Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes can be had at walkerbriarworks.com.

For people new to cobs, you may wonder why a replacement stem is needed. The plastic stems that come with

MM corn cob pipes are made of plastic, and though they work fine for a while, they do wear out and need to be

replaced. You can just get another plastic stem for less than a dollar. But if you look for a better experience from

your well-loved Missouri Meerschaum pipes, you definitely want to look at these replacement stems in standard

stem materials, vulcanite and lucite. What's more, they come in a selection of interesting well-designed shapes,

and a variety of colors. After you get to the Replacement Stem page, the first selection of stems will be for the

filtered pipes. Please note the replacement stem does not take a filter, it just has a larger size to fit the formerly

filter pipes. If you are replacing the stem on an unfiltered pipe, you will want to click to the second page, to see

the selection for unfiltered pipes. All the stems are hand finished and can had in various lengths, including

churchwarden, and in straight or bent versions. If you are a devoted cob smoker, do not go to this site unless

you are interested in investing in replacement stems. At least to me, they were irresistible, and I haven't even

taken delivery yet. I ordered two new stems for my filtered pipes, and I want to ruminate before I select a really

jazzy stem for my unfiltered American Patriot cob.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
My suggestion is to buy 2 stems, 1 for bent pipes and 1 for straight. You don't need one per pipe really. I rotate the same 2 stems through maybe 8-10 cobs in my rotation. Outside of a few unfiltered cobs, they fit pretty much all my "standard" cobs and they increase the pleasure of cob-smoking significantly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good point, jgriff. Or another way to look at it is, if heaven forbid, one of your cobs burns out, you can move the

permanent stem to a new one or another one of the same type, filtered or unfiltered. I think your concept sounds great.

However, I do sort of like matching up a specific stem with a specific style of pipe, and using the matched bowl and stem

as a single identified tobacco pipe. This is a little inflexible of me, but each pipe has a sort of separate style and aura.

With a lot of cobs on hand, your system is the way to go. With a few, I'm going to indulge in "spoiling them" with a

stem each. Nutty, but pleasing to me. Ain't cobs great? Love my briars, but there is just something about making a

pipe out of a vegetable. And to make a great, lightweight, extra-good smoking pipe out of a vegetable seems magic.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
The whole concept of a replacement stem for what is a disposable cheap ass bowl seams counter-intuitive. MM should sell you a whole sack of machine-made corn cob bowls and two steams. The stem should last the lifetime of a hundred or more corn cob bowls.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Except I have had some cobs for about 10 years and they are still in good shape. I know others smoking some for 20+ years. They are inexpensive but not cheap. I wouldn't exactly call them disposable.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Agreed, you can never have enough variety. At last count I have 18 replacement stems for my cobs. (I like change) Although they are not forever stems, smoke still passes through them with no trouble at all 8)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
metalmilitia, true, bad editing. Should have struck the first "plastic," but that's the way it goes. I try to

do a re-write, but don't always get it done. The stems, they is plastic.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have 4 Forever stems - and I probably wouldn't be a cob fan without them. I really like that fact that I can get a P-lip style. The folks at Walker are great to do business with.

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
I’d like to know how many cob pipes produced annually are bought as souvenirs by people with no intention of smoking them.
I say that because I really wish MM would offer an upgraded pipe for those of us who love to smoke a good cob.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I say that because I really wish MM would offer an upgraded pipe for those of us who love to smoke a good cob.
They do, it's called a Freehand, it features a vulcanite stem, it sells for $30-35.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I bought these from "corncobpipes" on eBay, 3 for $3.95. They're probably not as good as Forever stems, but they are an order of magnitude

better than the originals -- and the price is more in line with the value of the cob itself. Bend 'em with hot water or hairdryer.

$T2eC16VHJFwFFZ8-qQ9eBRY5WUy76w~~60_57.JPG

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cortez, great alternative for people who want to upgrade their cob stems but want to keep the workingman's

price integrity of the pipes. I'll make a note on this, especially for having guest pipes on hand that I can afford

to give away. However, the Foreverstems at Walker Briar Works enhance the cob to a new level; any cob lover

should indulge themselves in one or two, at least.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Cortez, an easier approach is to get "Danish Bits" for corncobs, they last a lot longer and are much tougher than the standard corncob stems, you can buy them from corncobpipe.com (MM's Official Website) and aristocob.com. They also have bent ones available so you don't have to bend them yourself :P They sell for 50 cents each. With Aristocob, they also have amber as well as black, but not at MM's website, wierd!
http://corncobpipe.com/danish-filtered-black-bits.html
http://aristocob.com/Search.aspx?k=danish

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I have two Forever Stems for my cobs, and tons of MM replacements. I use the replacements because I tend to destroy them after riding my motorcycle for a few weeks. It's the only time I really chomp my bit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sjfine, you have a specific gift or talent. Kids, don't try this at home, riding a motorcycle and smoking a pipe.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Truth be told, I only actually smoke in traffic. Going any faster than 20 mph or so, and the bowl, uh, catches fire. The rest of the time, I just look cool. :roll:
It is much harder to smoke a cigar on the bike. And, although I can smoke a cigar at higher speeds, I tend only to smoke them on the way home from a place where I wasn't able to finish it.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
http://m.ebay.com/itm/400495700588#
I bought this a little while ago and have no complaints. I definitely prefer briar, but on the right occasion a cob is nice

Status
Not open for further replies.