PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
So this is probably a stupid noob question but why cobs? I've seen them in tobacco shops before for a few bucks and I always kind of figured they were just a novelty or something you could do if you were out without your pipe and decided you wanted a smoke...just something you could buy cheap to get your fix as it were :) All of my opinions on them are completely based on my own assumptions though. As of the last few days, when I decided to really start taking pipe smoking more seriously, I've been reading the forums here and found that several of you seem to really like them. So my question to you is why do you smoke them? I did some research and about the best reason I could find was that you can try a new tobacco in them without having to worry about a bad flavor tainting a good pipe. Are there other and/or better reasons?

P.S. Sorry if this has been posted before...you guys have quite a backlog of posts for me to go through :) But I did do a quick search of the forums and didn't find anything on this specifically.

Jul 15, 2011
best reason I could find was that you can try a new tobacco in them without having to worry about a bad flavor tainting a good pipe
Bingo. You hit the nail on the head my good sir. When I have my first bowl of a blend that I have never tried before, it goes in a cob. Cobs do not retain old flavors or smells, so every bowl is a clean, neutral taste experience. Also, if you filter a cob, like I do, it offers a very dry smoke without any loss of flavor, at least in my opinion. Missouri Meerschaum cobs are also very cheap and are available in a wide variety of style. I like the General myself (good sized tall bowl that offers a nice, long smoke). They are a good utility pipe and a great smoking pipe, and they are cheap enough that if you drop one on the floor or it gets banged around a little too much, you can pay 5 bucks and get a new one. Hope this helps!

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
they smoke as good as any pipe, providing it is a missouri meerschaum.
they are inexpensive.
they do not require alot of maintance.
and some tobaccos just smoke better in em.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I agree that a cob is cheap utility pipe for the yard, tackle box, glove compartment, etc. However I disagree that they "do not retain old flavors or smells, so every bowl is a clean, neutral taste experience".

Jul 12, 2011
A great cheaper way to dedicate to a blend or type of blend:
My Fab 7

1-lakelands

2-cherry

3-Vs

4-VaPers

5-English

6-Aros

7-gone but not to forget a burned out English :)

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Inexpensive way to get a few new pipes while pondering various styles of more expensive briar pipes. I like the country gent it has a bigger bowl. I have a smaller one, the Washington, and it fits inthe ashtray of my truck.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
maduroman said

they smoke as good as any pipe, providing it is a missouri meerschaum.
they are inexpensive.
they do not require alot of maintance.
and some tobaccos just smoke better in em.

I don't think much more can be added other than to sum up by saying if one is looking for "best bang for the buck" an American made cob is what you go for.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I have and like cobs a lot but they can and do hold other tastes and smells just like any pipe that,s not taken care of.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Instead of asking "The Why's" instead ask yourself, "Why not?"
-This moment of inspiration brought to you by Spartan Cola. Drink like a CHAMPION! :puffy:
I have yet to smoke a cob... but i'm going to be popeye for halloween lol so... i'll be picking up a few

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
For more information about the care and feeding of corncobs, and a discussion of the merits of each model, check out my Primer and Buyers Guide. I smoke corncobs because given proper care and cleaning, they smoke as well, and often much better, than any briars I can afford.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Missouri_Meerschaum_Corncob_Buying_Guide

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
I completely agree with Tiltjp. Cobs IMO smoke really nice especially the more you get them broke in, don't make the mistake of smoking a couple times and deciding because frankly the first few bowls are not the best.....but after that they ROCK!

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I never had one to gurgle or smoke wet, and IMO you do have to smoke them a few times to break them in, and IMO until they have been smoked a few times you may pick up the taste of corn and or wood, and there is nothing wrong with that if it is what you like. :)

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
It's that same old... how much money do you put into a hobby before you can say you enjoy it argument.

Some people have to have $100,000+ RVs to say they can enjoy a camping trip. The next guy can have a tarp and be happier than a bug in a rug and not worry about it.

It's the same with cobs versus briar. It's a tool. It's functional. It works. What more needs to be concerned with?

If one's tastes tend to lean towards the more "refined" then do so. Big deal.

Sometimes people have more money than they have sense. IMO.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I have to agree with wolfscouts post and should have mentioned in my earlier post, A cob is a pipe and it performs very well, in fact, some of my cobs out perform a few of my briars and if you were just starting to smoke that is what I would recommend to start with, With a cob you are getting your moneys worth and then some.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
it took me over a half century to re-discover the cob (slow learner)--i can truthfully say that i wish i hadn't been so obtuse--
pretty much everything smokes well in a cob, but if you really want one to sing, try an OTC burley- (IMO)-you'll hear the fat lady hit all the right notes--
BTW, C&D Burlies and BurVapers also are exceptional in all 8 of mine--one of my favorites is Big n Burley which can be a bit intense--my Dane Egg and Spool seem to soften the rough edges--

Status
Not open for further replies.