Cob Pipe End of the Road?

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by James Foster
  • Latest reply from alex87
  1. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Notice this today - looks like the cob is splitting here.. end of the road or SOP for these? I suspect I've been burning it too hot/often.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I suspect I've been burning it too hot/often.

I suggest you avoid doing this, but IMO it looks like an outer surface cracks and can be fixed by filling the cracks with fireplace mortar (best, since it can hold up in 2,000 F. heat), or some heat resistant epoxy.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had cobs in that situation. Should still be smokable, especially if you've built up some cake.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

metalmilitia

Login to Send PM

they will start to do that if they get too hot. they still smoke fine, but it will get worse even if you are careful. still smokeable. I had one that cracked from the top of the shank nearly to the rim of the bowl. the crack was almost all the way through the sidewall, but it still smoked. drive it til the wheels fall off, that's what I say

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, I've got one that's doing the same thing. I was wondering about it myself. I've had it for a couple of years now, but only noticed it in the past week or so. There's no telling how long it's been that way! As far as I know, it's the only one of my cobs that's doing that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

K. It's just a cob... I'll order 10 more to replace it, but it was my first and I like it. So I suspect I'll keep smoking it till it dies.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

here are a few of my favorite smokers, still smoke like a dream

Kent

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. mike73

mike73

Login to Send PM

Damn Kent you have put some miles on those cobs! On a side note I had one just crack on me this morning on the way to work. It was my first smoke in it. Never got the bowl hot, so I am guessing that it just happens due to the material it is made from.

Cheers!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, I've had my 2 cobs for several years and have not had that problem. I wonder if the cobs were not dried enough before production. I would guess that moisture could be the culprit.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

here are a few of my favorite smokers, still smoke like a dream

FYI all 3 of these are pushing a year of age and I smoke anywhere from 5-12 bowls a day. I smoke the same pipe for a full day.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. scrapyardape

scrapyardape

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting that pic, Kent. My first pipe was a cob that I abused horribly and it looks very similar to the ones in that picture. If yours are still going strong, then I think I'll give mine another shot at life.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. alex87

alex87

Login to Send PM

Love my cob, and I plan on smoking it until it falls apart in my hand. They seem to be able to handle some good lovin' and that's a win in my book. I just checked mine, a MM legend, and it has a small crack as well. Thinking its just something that happens over time.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   donjgiles, pepesdad1, morgansteele, lestrout, georged, tschiraldi, mso489, ajohnb