PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Theirs always a few good topics on cleaning briar and meerschaum pipes. After getting my hands on a corn cob pipe, i was intrested if their was different methods to keeping them clean and healthy. I checked through the forums and i couldn't find much maintenance of them. Look forward to see what you guys got, thanks. :puffy:

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Cob Maintenance is easy.
1. Use pipe cleaners as you normally would.

2. When the pipe tastes funky, remove the stem and toss the bowl on hot coals while you grill. Toss plastic stem into the recycle bin.

3. Buy a new corn cob.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I lovingly and carefully placed my cob in a vise and hacksawed about 3/8" off the bowl. Then, I tenderly applied it to the beltsander to smooth the rim. Works much better now for what I want it for, sampler pipe for new blends. Not sure how many blends I tried at the Chicago Pipe Show. All in my stumpy pipe.
My maintenance includes a pipe cleaner as needed.
Winton

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
You might be interested in reading my Corncob Primer, which should give you lots of practical advice. I'm working on an extensive update with much added information, so you might want to bookmark it.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Thanks for all the responses. I've been smoking this cob pretty often, its a good smoke. Though i noticed today that when i was smoking it i got a very bitter taste on the lip. Is this just the moisture running down the stem?
I'll have to read through your piece on Pipedia.org Tilt, im sure you go over alot of things i'll probably ask. I read a little bit of it and it was good..so i'll have to finish it up before i go off asking too many questions! Thanks again guys.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Yes. that could be moisture and condensation causing the bitter taste, moreso if you were smoking a bent cob. What I suggest is that you insert a pipe cleaner into the shank, but be careful not to let it touch the tobacco in the bowl. If it does, it can allow a small shard of tobacco or ash to enter the shank, and even got sucked into your mouth. Keep the pipe cleaner in place for at least 15 seconds to wick away most of the moisture.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
@Tiltjlp

Have you found a good cleaner for the bits that doesn't soften them? I soaked a basically few in Isopropyl awhile back and it basically ruined them. Last time I used vodka and a pipe cleaner and that seemed to work o.k.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I use pipe cleaners dipped in Isopropyl, and use them after every smoke. so I don't notice a problem. And I take my cobs apart as soon as I dump the ash. But I can't use drinking alcohol, but if vodka and a pipe cleaner works for you, I'd keep using it. It seems to me that cleaning a pipe completely after every smoke keeps problems to a minimum, but some folks feel that it's overdoing it. I'm also one of a seemingly small number of cobbers who prefer the plastic bits.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
I also like the OEM bit....I ordered 3 dozen when I replaced the ones I softened up.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
What's an OEM bit? I find my cobs smoke best when there is no to very little cake in them. I don't have a good reamer so I use a pocket knfe carefully. And I also clean with a pipe cleaner after every smoke. Same as all my pipes.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Echopipe, OEM mean the Original Equipment Danish Bits that are standard on full sized cobs. You're doing well, IMNSHO, to keep cake from building in your cobs. I use a Rodgers Pipe Knife, which has a blade with a blunted end, and a pick or spike. The better you clean your pipes after each smoke the better your blends will tastes.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Finally got around to reading your primer on Cobs. Great piece John. Alot of good information in there. Its actaully made my smoke ALOT better. I've been having issues with hot smokes, but i believe it was because my tobacco was too moist. I've begun to pull from what i would call the 'dried out' part of the pouch, which actually seems to be just right. This cob has been one of the best smokes i've had, which isn't saying much only smoking for a few months. Your Dad has good advice and has been directly beneficial to my smoke. Thanks for turning me to your article. Great job!
Youre turning me into a Cob Snob!! :puffy:

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
Hand or skin lotion on the outside of the bowl of a cob works well to keep them in good condition.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
The reason I prefer Aloe Vera Gel over hand or skin lotions for the exterior of cobs is that it's purer, is more readily absorbed into the cob surface, and it is usually less greasy and pricey than hand or body lotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.