PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Having ordered a pair of Shire cobs, and owning several Country Gentlemen a year ago for rotation purposes, I'm now wondering, what is the lifespan of a cob pipe. Obviously this depends on how often a cob is smoked, but I suspect my Shires will get a thorough workout. Given that, can I expect several years of use?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Sparrow you have all the good questions this week. I dont know what the clear answer is, but I bought my first cob about 8 years ago, smoke about once a week, and still going strong. I think the type of cob may have something to do with it too. The 8 yo pipe has a wooden plug bottom, like the cobbits. The washington's do not have those, and I have gone through a couple of them.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Hey, Doc, thnaks for the compliment. In the snowy weather we're having, it bolsters my spirits. So far my Gentlemen are holding up, but through my own haste, broke my somewhat expensive freehand. But I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that the cobs are about to give up their collective ghosts. I did forget to ask about frequency of smoking cobs and resting them: I get the impression they don't require the same lengthy rests as briars.

Meanwhile, tracking says the cobs are coming this Friday. I have to figure out a way to get them inside the house so me mum doesn't see me getting still more pipes.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A cob pipe can outlast it's user if properly cared for.
This is a good read on cobs with a pro / con article about breaking them in and allowing cake to build:
http://pipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Corncob_primer

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I don't know how long cobs will last because I haven't yet killed one. I have ten MM cobs, with the oldest being about ten years old. I didn't "break it in" (whatever that means with a cob), it's as ratty as can be, I've had to re-glue the stem countless times, but it never burned out and it still provides as sweet a smoke as any briar that I own. I smoke my oldest one more often than my newer ones (a few times a week) because it smokes the best, probably because it's all loaded up with years of tar that I think contributes to its sweet character.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I broke the shank in numerous spots when I removed the stupidly removed the stem at an angle. Maybe I could have salvaged it by applying Elmer's Glue, but it was never one of my favorite pipes, the plateau was terribly burned (I got this pipe when I was new to the hobby and didn't have the proper insert in my Zippo for lighting pipes), and I just didn't want to deal with the problem. Cobs, to me, are basically disposable pipes, but the Cobbits have made me change my mind, and I'm becoming even more fond of my Country Gentlemen, enough where I bought a couple of Forever Stems. Hope the Cobbit stems hold out well; MM says they are made of Italian vulcanite, but I wonder if Forever Stems will be making their own replacement stems.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Bare-naked cobs or the plaster dipped ones, wooden bottoms or no wooden bottoms last the same for me...years and years. I own about 50 MM cobs and never had one bowl crack nor did I ever burn through one. I've gone through a boatload of their cheap stems though. I have some MM cobs from the 60's which came with nice vulcanite stems which I really like. A few years back I had two acrylic stems custom made for my cobs and they fit many of the different models. At 13 years old, my first smokes were in a corncob pipe. Cobs are cool.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I actually dropped a email to Dave about the cobbits. He said that he has not recieved one yet and thinks the tenon sizes are just a shade different. I tried one of my forever stems in standard filter cobbit (shire) and it fit just fine but of coarse was shorter. And the dwarf took the unfiltered one with alittle push. I think just a tad bit of sanding and it would fit great. I tend to go for the the lucite forever stems and the 4in one looks really nice in the dwarf. But I know he has the mini churchwarden stems that I bet would look good in the longer stem pipes. I bet after awhile if there is good market for them we may see some forever stems for them. But in the mean time the current ones work and look good.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I smoke my cob at least once a week. I keep replacing the bits, but it's been going strong for almost 4 years now. Quite a bargain when I picked it up for $3.95 online just to get free shipping. I've been thinking about getting a Mark Twain to go with my Pony Express.

Oct 12, 2014
This is a good question. I have a pile of them, grab whatever one calls out to me and smoke them daily. Now that I think about it I dont believe I ever thrown one away :0
Thanks for the link cobguy..

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
At Missouri Meerschaum, we are often asked how long a corn cob pipe lasts. We answer that it can last a few months or it can last a lifetime. There is so much variability in the cob itself, along with the variability in how a particular person smokes and takes care of a pipe, that it is impossible to be more precise. I really can't add any more to the answer than has already been stated above in other posts. Our mission has been and always will be to produce a great smoking pipe that anyone can afford. The inexpensive price allows us to replace a pipe that doesn't last very long due to the variability in the cobs. We intend for them to last a very long time. That is why we grow our own special corn just for our pipes. Thanks to everyone who has posted replies above. They are an inspiration to all of us here.
On another note, the wonderful Forever stems from WalkerBriarWorks should fit the Wizard, Shire and Elf, but not the Dwarf unless it is drilled out a little more. I will send Dave one of each of the Cobbits so that he can be comfortable with the answer when asked. Dave and Sue Wolff are wonderful people!

Status
Not open for further replies.