PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Hi all, haven't been on here in a while for one reason or another, but it's nice to be back.
As per the topic title, I have an MM Pony Express that I smoked some Condor Plug in about a year ago and which still smells and tastes for all the world as though it were whittled out of soap. (Not sure if that disproves the cobs-don't-ghost theory; in fairness, I think you'd best off dedicating not just a pipe but a whole room of your house to smoking CP.)
So, any tips for deghosting a cob? Would the salt and alchohol treatment be appropriate? Thanks.

Jan 8, 2013
You might have to kill it. Kill it with fire! 8O
I haven't an answer for you, but I'm sure someone will chime in that does.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can bear a few ghosts, I think they will fade with a few more bowls of non-ghosting blend.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
You can coat the inside with powdered activated carbon and smoke it out in one bowl usually. Of course you'll want to tap out the extra carbon after you coat the bowl with it before smoking it. Many times the carbon will absorb the ghost enough to barely taste it if at all.

I don't know, in my experience with Lakelands, that soapy taste never dissipates, even after sanding the bowl back to raw wood, I could still taste it. I've had to put a few pipes under the heal of my boot to remove the ghost of those, and yes, dedicating a room or even a whole house is advisable. I was seriously considering burning my couch after a brief experiment with Lakelands. The couch smelled exactly like my grandmother's bathroom after the experience.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep... smoked a Lakeland blend once and NEVER again! Even though I had it in a closed tin within a cabinet it stunk up the entire room and for awhile I was blowing soap bubbles out of a MM cob! It eventually faded away as I only smoked a half bowl of the foul stuff which was all I could tolerate.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll give it a good scouring with cleaners and Smirnoff (can't get any spirits over 40% abv where I am) and see how that goes. If it doesn't work, heck, it's only a cob.
Cosmic - thanks for the welcome back, I sort of took a break from the pipe for a few months there but the bug's bitten me again with a vengeance - happy fate!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On second thought, the cob is your Lakelands pipe. Dedicate it. Problem solved?

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
mso489 - Fair point, but if Lakelands are the ultimate acquired taste then I definitely have yet to acquire it. I might give them another go in time, but at the moment I want to work through my current rotation - mainly VaPers and straight VAs - before I get any more baccy.

Status
Not open for further replies.