PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I have a question for those among us who have a fair amount of experience smoking cobs and meers. I keep six cobs in my accumulation of pipes, the rest being briars. I absolutely love the way the cobs smoke, but by the time they get to the point that they're perfectly seasoned to my liking, they're all used up and ready for the trash heap. It takes a couple of months to get a cob up and running the way I like them.
A perfectly seasoned cob is one where the tars have so permeated the bowl that they start leaching out the sides and bottom, and the exterior of the bowl actually becomes sticky while smoking. When the pipe gets to that point it has the sweetest aroma when cold, and when I smoke it the experience is as good as it gets, on par, and sometimes better than my best briars. Which brings me to the subject of meers: will a meerschaum pipe exhibit similar characteristics over time? I'm not looking for a sticky bowl exterior of course, but instead I'd like the pipe to become so saturated with tars over time that it will have a sweet aroma when cold and provide a similar smoking experience to my near-death cobs.
I know that meers are porous and color over time, and that coloring comes from the absorption of tars. So to that extent I would think that meers would similar to cobs in that regard. However, I've never seen a meer that looked very dark (admittedly I've not seen many of them), so I wonder if they will eventually absorb as much tar as a cob? To sum it all up, I'm looking for a cob-like smoking experience from a pipe that I don't have to replace regularly. Would a meer be a good choice?

Jul 12, 2011
Meers are fantastic smokers and I plan on adding many to my rotation

in 2012. I also smoke and have cobs over a few years old and agree with

you on their smoking qualities

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
A meer would be an excellent choice - it does not need breaking in and, as I understand it, should not have cake on the interior of the bowl - it should be wiped out after every smoke.

There's a reason the big cob maker is called Missouri Meerschaum. :puffy:

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Actually Radio807, Cobs are also known as Missouri Meerschaums due their tendency to color over time, just like a Meerschaum, not the other way around. Both are filters and like any filter, once their total saturation points are approached, they will start to ooze a bit. Here are some examples... http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/the-thrill-of-the-hunt-a-guide-to-estate-meerschaums/

Both require a breaking-in-period before they begin smoking to their potentials. The Cob doesn't really smoke well until the base of the shank, which extends into the bottom of the chamber, is burned away, which takes about a fortnight. The Meerschaum requires a few smokes for the solvents and excess wax that the Carver used to burn off before it will start smoking well. A Cob doesn't form much of a cake but it does caramelize in the chamber. A Meerschaum is best kept in good repair by keeping cake buildup to a minimum. A Cob is so absorbent that it will not gurgle. A Meerschaum may gurgle infrequently, but I just blow it back into the bowl and these Pipes turn it into patina. A Cob thrives on neglect. Indeed a rank Cob will deliver a great smoke. A Meerschaum has higher maintenance requirements to smoke well. A clean Meerschaum excels in providing a smoke of clarity not found in other Pipes.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
radio807, corncob can and do last for years, many years in fact, if taken care of properly. I have had cobs last over 20 years, and know of cobbers with some 30-40 years old, and still going strong. Reading my Primer might help you get more life and enjoyment from your cobs.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

Jul 12, 2011
Take it from Fred...aka "The Meer Man" :D
Speaking of Meers...I have been eye'in this IMP...perhaps the first PAD of 2012 for me :puffy:

002-316-2056-516x600.jpg

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Guys, thanx for all responses. I've been smoking cobs for years, but when I read John's article I realized that there is stuff I could still learn about them. As for Fred's comments and articles, that's just the kind of information I was looking for. And Jud, I now agree that a meer would be a good choice.
Been doing bit of surfing and found nice SMS bulldog that I might pull the trigger on. Gonna sleep on it first, though. Thanx again to all.
Jim

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
nope i keep it clean with everclear and a pipe cleaner also clean out the inside of the bowl the same way about once a week

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I just finished up a bowl of Peterson's De Luxe Mixture in my little Lepeltier. This is the first time I have smoked this pipe, and I had found the Peterson to be an average smoke before but, in this little clay it exploded with taste, subtle undertones I never got in a brier.
So, IMHO clays open up a huge flavor palate like a meer does.
Get 1 or 6 of them. I just ordered a clay church from P&C.com.
BTW Dragon, I have been eyeing that very pipe. So I say, get it! :puffy:

Jul 12, 2011
@pipeinhand-I know brah, there is just something about it that "Calls" to me...I like the shape and rusticated look of that Meer...might process the add-to-cart today :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.