Comoy's Blue Riband Extraordinaire PAD (pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
So I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a family era Blue Riband in a shape I like for a long time. I've also been nose to the ground for an Extraordinaire. Sometimes you get lucky, today was one of those days. The pipe is in good nick, it looks like I'll only need to sanitize the pipe and do a surface clean.nomenclature is legible, but has suffered a bit from overzealous buffing. The three part C is present. I'm a happy man with a new pipe for Latakia forward blends.

Goodnight from Megan and me.

-- Pat

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I miss that baby smell. Cherish it, Pat.

The next few years, though, are amongst the best. You will be the sun and the moon to her little world, and she will have you tight in her gravitational pull.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'm in so deep already... This whole parenthood thing is more profoundly life altering than I ever anticipated; even though EVERYONE said it would be.
It is pretty wonderful.
-- Pat

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
riband1.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Wow Darwin. That's a huge difference. I'm just glad that the vendor posted crappy pictures on eBay... Because I feel like I got the pipe for a good price. Pipe before shipping was $212.00
-- Pat

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Yeah that can be an advantage. When I buy off the 'Bay I usually pull the pics into PS to see if I can get them to look how I at least think they should look. However if part of the pipe is in deep shadow there is frequently no detail there to enhance. With your pipe pic the background was neutral so getting the color close was a hell of a lot easier than if it had been shot on some lurid heavily color saturated background as is frequently the case. Electronic cameras set on automatic are a fierce enemy of good color and exposure.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Al, do you think that this pipe is only a Blue Riband? Or did you mean, "you don't often see Blue Riband and Extraordinaire stamps on one pipe?"
Darwin, that's a handy skill to have. Thanks for sharing the cleaned up picture.
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That ad says both. That happens but it is rare. (even more rare is the triple stamp: Blue Riband, Extraordinaire and Straight Grain).
This one sold in 2011.
1_f7c9220d66d02d49f9123969629ae2f6.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Just goes to show you that you can get a great deal on a beautiful pipe if you look for ebay vendors that post crappy pictures and just generally don't know what they are doing.
Congrats. The rare nomenclature is pretty awesome. Can't wait to see it when you have tuned up the pipe and post some better shots.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Al, I see that Mr. Roan has a Blue Riband Extraordinaire in the same shape posted to his site. If the one I picked up has grain which is half as nice I will be thrilled.
Here is a picture of his pipe: http://www.apassionforpipes.com/comoy/single-gallery/9892479
Here is a blog entry which talks about stumbling into hard to find shapes, in which this shape pipe with both marks features: http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2011/6/2/portkeys-and-horcruxes.html
@peck. Yeah, those deals are becoming harder and harder to find, but they are out there... Assuming Sam doesn't find all the good scores first.
@brad. Thanks my friend, she's truly lovely. We're feeling pretty blessed around here.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Well, the pipe arrived last night and I couldn't be more pleased. Yet again, we learn the value of finding pipes with bad pictures on eBay. I'm pretty stoked to get it cleaned up and into rotation.

-- Pat

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pat, you got a great deal!

Being able to "read" pictures is an asset when sharking around on eBay. About the only time I see really good opportunities is in the stuff that gets overlooked because of, titling mistakes and/or crappy photography, coupled with a high buy in, or poor description.

The best deal of all is that bundle you're holding.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Yeah, Jesse, I'm a pretty lucky dude. Megan is a peach, and I am smitten. The pipe's nice too.
I have to say that I have eBay searches saved for "sabieni", "commy" and "unhil" pipes... sometimes they pay off, but as you mention, often it's the bad picture and high buy in which set apart the gems from the zirconium. That being said, in two years of looking for my first Blue Riband, this is the first that has been even remotely close to my max bid.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.