PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter456

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2017
Plattsburgh NY
Is there any tobacco that has the clove taste in it? I miss the djarum's and want a pipe tobacco like it. All my searches have came up empty or not in stock. Thanks.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I have tried Iwan Ries - King's Oriental and there is definitely a clove flavor in that blend. It was actually quite pleasant with a cup of tea. But I haven't tried it in over 2 years, so this is based on my memory and notes.

Kasturi is a cigar leaf that has a slight clove-like presence, IMO. Like a cigar that was briefly extinguished and relit. C&D has been making a line of Lovecraftian based blends using that leaf, Mad Fiddler, Miskatonic Mixture, etc...

It's not a strong clove aroma, just a very faint one.

Otherwise, I don't think that the clove aroma in the cigarettes is from a natural tobacco.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I fully agree with Cosmic...Mad Fiddler Flake does have a very clove scent to it, and he’s also spot-on with the description of the cigar taste. I have not tried We Three Kings blend from C&D, but it might be near what you’re looking for as well?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think blends with a more forward content of Turkish/Oriental type tobaccos have a bit of a clove resemblance. But not exactly. Buy some of those nasty Turkish cigarettes.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
There was a tobacconist here in Chicago in the 90's that had a bulk blend called "bullseye" on the counter that had a strong clove flavor. It's likely that he was ordering it from Lane Ltd or similar.
That's probably not as helpful as I want it to be.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Clove oil.

Buy it and add it to your favorite blend.
It’s potent stuff, and a little goes a long way, so in order to get it evenly applied you’ll want to dilute it with alcohol (ethanol), apply to the tobacco, then allow the alcohol to evaporate.
I always suspected that clove oil was one of the ingredients in McClelland’s secret sauce.

It always interests me what flavors people prefer in tobaccos. Some say Vanilla is the best, some prefer a fruity essence... clove interests me, but I don't think I want to try it. And, I am amazed when someone prefers minty tobacco. And, someone suggested to the Glenn at GQTobacco to try to make a cumin based aromatic as a joke, enough people were excited about it, that he gave it a whirl. :crazy:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I steeped some cloves in a jar of Prince Albert many moons ago but I am not brave enough to sample my own experiment. I suspect it would result in extreme oral numbness, even though I am interested in the taste. I think I overdid it and I would rather keep my sense of taste than indulge my curiosity.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
I too am convinced that one McClelland's secret sauce was clove. I will swear that their oriental Cavendish 2050 had quite a dose of clove. I think it was their approach to recreating that herbal tangy and musty flavor from some of the old now unobtanium orientals. It's worth trying to spray a LITTLE clove oil with alcohol on some tobac. I tried it, not bad, but just a we'e bit.

Reactions: mikegun

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I will swear that their oriental Cavendish 2050 had quite a dose of clove.
Slowroll, you are the only other person that I've met who also tastes clove in McClelland's sauce. I really picked it up in the 2045 Oriental.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
Slowroll, you are the only other person that I've met who also tastes clove in McClelland's sauce. I really picked it up in the 2045 Oriental.
That makes 2 of us! You're the only other person who also picked it up. Maybe we have superior perception :mrgreen:

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I met a guy on facebook some time ago who made a clove pipe tobacco and shared his process. It was so convoluted and time consuming that I never made any and have since lost his process. Too much work for what may turn out to be awful.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Adding clive oul to a blend should be simple. A few drops of clive oil in a spray bottle of ethanol. Apply, let the alcohol evaporate. Now, just how much clove oil in how much ethanol at what application rate...may take some testing. Start low.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have clove oil and will probably try that. Any idea what type of blend would be good? The process I refer to was some regional tobacco they have and it was more than just a clove addition, but it was still too complicated for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.