PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
I've seen quite a lot of people close over the bowl with their fingers while they puff. What's that for?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I do it occasionally to re-stoke a dying ember in the bowl. Think of the adjustable vent on the bottom of a Weber Bar-B-Kettle.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I do it too when my pipe is going out. Usually it will bring it back to life but sometimes I wait too long and need to relight. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I got a C in high school physics, so pay me no attention, but I thought it was like an old time automobile carburetor, where you closed off the air supply somewhat to enrich the fuel supply, in this case tobacco, relative to the oxygen. What I actually know is that it works!

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Beyond a certain amount of air necessary for combustion, excess air that you draw into the bowl just tends to cool the ember. Reducing the air flow will reduce the cooling while still allowing sufficient oxygen, the ember gets hotter and you are back in business.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I was actually considering asking this week while driving back and forth to work.
I remember reading a while ago that this practice can cause premature burn outs. Anyone ever hear about that?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No need for burnouts, so premature implies it's bound to happen, and it's not a given. Burnouts, though, can occur without that technique. Smoking too hot, not paying attention, etc.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
My thoughts have always been... Restricting the intact opening and pulling thru the draw hole with the same PSI suction amount creates a faster and more directed flow into the bowl which is like blowing into a campfire. It provides more air/oxygen in a concentrated area giving more heat just like a match would which in turn fires up the rest of the already hot tobacco. Just as in a campfire situation. We close off and release in this process which allows for the adjoining hot tobacco to start up again, repeating the process relights more and more of the bowl until we are fully lit again.
However besides all this scientific talk, which I love to dive into, Hahaha as Mr so489 said, all I really know is it works.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Recently I taught my son to smoke a pipe. He figured out this trick all by himself on his first bowl. I hardly ever use it.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
No need for burnouts, so premature implies it's bound to happen, and it's not a given.
Absolutely. Burn outs are another issue with a number of possible causes.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Aristocob did a great video explaining it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-59A0ELee0

Status
Not open for further replies.