PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I have slowly been able to learn and figure out how to get a decent photo of a pipe. It takes me some time, but I can do it. However, I have yet to figure out how to get a good close up shot of the bowl stamping. I see that some are able to post crystal clear close ups of stamping. How do you do it?

I don't have fancy equipment, just my phone. When I try to get a real up close shot, my phone will not focus. If I pull back far enough to get a good focus, the stamping is not clear. I welcome any tips or suggestions.
jojoc

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've had some success, also with a phone, by trying different combinations of distance and zoom.
The phone may not focus 4 inches away, but moving 8 or 10 inches away and then zooming in sometimes yields the desired image.
jay-roger.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You do need to be far enough back so that it will focus on the stamping. Then the image can be cropped, which effectively gives an enlargement of that area.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The lightbox can eliminate specular highlights as seen in the photo preceding. And a light box for pipes can be made from an empty gallon milk jug.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The lightbox can eliminate specular highlights as seen in the photo preceding.
That one was taken on the spot while on break at work. Natural lighting can reduce glare without need of a lightbox.
20180707_203236.jpg

Jun 23, 2019
It would help to know what phone you have. I mean most phone cameras nowadays are way more than enough to get a great picture of your pipe.
Like someone already said, the trick is to zoom in a little (I like to get a 40-50mm eqv.) and then get as close as minimum focusing distance will allow (usually this should be an easily Googleable spec).
Here's one from my iPhone:

4ABKciBl.jpg

@paul - I think the fall in popularity of the "decent but moderately priced digital camera" (which right now I can't think of a single example) is simply because they are a poor value proposition. If you're going to be shooting off of the screen anyways and not the viewfinder then there's really no advantage of a camera over your average iPhone. The younger generation is obviously even more comfortable in the smartphone operating environment so for all practical purposes there is no reason to spend money on a camera.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I played with some existing photos I have and using the crop feature I was able to get ok results. I will need to play with the lighting some. Although the overall photo quality was good, I seem to end up with glare in just the wrong spot.
I appreciate everyone's input
jojoc

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You guys just don't know how to use a camera... :roll:
This shot is the edge of some stamping, taken in my shop not five minutes ago:
Screen-Shot-2019-07-17-at-3-37-04-PM.png

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Unfortunately, really good, high quality photographs require some cash.

A DSLR and a quality macro lens will give you the best results, along with strobe lighting and a sturdy tripod.

There are no shortcuts.
Don

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not a pipe, but one of my other interests and probably my favorite closeup I've ever taken with a phone.
rscn01631.jpg

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I downloaded an app called Mag. Light. It basically magnifies your phone's camera. I think the original intent was to help people that can't see very well read menus or something. But it works perfectly to zoom in on nomenclature and then snap a photo if you want.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Damn. George, you pulled another one-upsman. I've searched and searched but can't find an app for my cell phone that turns it into an electron microscope.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I have a feeling George is doing some really advanced stuff, shocking, huh?

Did you reverse and lens on a bellows system for that shot George?
Don

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'm still forced to use cameras cuz I ain't got no smart phones by this day,notheless someday in the future I may consider gettin one the moment when prices for smart phones will drop significantly,I can buy a decent big screen lap-top computer for the same money than average I Phone or similar device would cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.